General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Let's think this out

There are many issues floating around right now. My advice is to salvage what can be salvaged from the remnants of the AVA. In that, there is a slightly more complicated issue: what actions have the AVA board taken to understand what rights they hold in transferring assets and programs to another national volunteer organization? Where was the AVA chartered? Has the State's Attorney General looked at the situation and issued any findings? Does the AVA have legal representation? Are any of the assets (the journal) being sought out by creditors?

I think that the dust must settle and a few bedrock answers must be found. Once that happens, the organization that forms should be member driven. Meaning: if you belong to the national volunteer administration organization you would be a shareholder and asked to help set the direction of the new organization.

I get ahead of myself though. Let's answer the basic questions: Who needs a national volunteer administrator organization? What is its role in a national environment? Does it have a local role (similar to Red Cross and local Red Cross) as well?
What is the mission of this organization?

I think that there have been lessons learned. My opinion is to focus on "closing" the AVA and having a thorough understanding of what remains. Then, open up the discussion (perhaps using the questions I listed above) to how to start anew. There are many experts out there whom we can tap into to assist in development of bylaws, charters, incorporation, etc.

To close, I know that the AVA board members have been through a rough stretch. Their discourse is held because of legal reasons which is understandable. What might be helpful to the past AVA membership would be a weekly update. Nothing that would imperil the investigation but something to the effect of: The city investigation has announced that they are seeking charges--OR--There have been no new announcements from the city. This is only a suggestion.

The challenge is before us. Let's embrace what has happened...Own it...and change what will be.

Let's rally!!!

Matt Coatar

Professional Credentials: 11 years volunteer administration experience

Re: Let's think this out

Matt I think you are raising some excellent questions in regards to "settling the dust" from this situation.

Making any kind of change begins with each of us individually. What is the need here? I would also like to add, what is the opportunity, the learning? I see this as a rich jumping board for all of us here, to voice the needs that we see, after all we are the workers on the "front lines" of this cause. There is also a rich potential for us to build community as volunteer administrators.

I have been creating a volunteer program for almost 3 years now and I am noticing a huge gap around community. This is ironic to me because building community is the essence of volunteerism.

What do I need? I need to have rich dialogues with professionals about how to heal the myth that people do not have the time to volunteer. I need some tools to continue to give my staff who are working hard to be smart and engaged delegaters of their jobs and to involve volunteers more in our mission. I need to talk with professionals about meaning and purpose and committment. Apathy is an epidemic in our socitey and people are disempowered about how to get connected to make a true lasting difference in their community.

I want to know how we can begin to talk in depth, get to the root of these situations. AVA going under is a fantastic manifestation of America's "knee jerk", now we are in crisis mode. How many times do we all, in our own organizations, ask people to help and get involved with this immediacy? What if we were to shift the paradigm of asking for help and promoting community involvement? What if volunteers felt as invested in the problem as the non-profits working to solve them?

These are the needs and the questions that I am working with everyday. I am dedicated to shifting this paradigm in the volunteer culture. I would love to meet, work and talk with those who are interested in similar dialogues. I am seeking for this kind of community in volunteer management. If I am missing something please someone fill me in!!!

Tina

Professional Credentials: Director/creator of a grassroots volunteer program