General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Observations and Suggestions

In answering Susan Ellis’s charge to speak up, here are my responses.

Observations:
Let the story of AVA’s demise stand as an example of what can happen without the basic understanding, training and practice of nonprofit management 101.

The challenges faced by AVA to be considered in thinking about a new organization:
• a large membership organization with conference fees and membership dues as the only primary income base
• a board spread all over the country with limited meetings due to lack of available income for reimbursement to board members
• an organization with enormous potential and an appetite for greatness, but limited staff and limited income
• the absence of a fundraising department
• board members who are engaged while at meetings and may have the best of intentions, but afterwards often depend on the small staff to do the work or keep things moving rather than function as a legal, working board

Suggestions:
1) As part of envisioning a new future, I suggest the Seattle group identify what worked for AVA and what did not work. What were its successes; what was missing and crucial to the organization’s survival.

2) Next, identify from this list, what should be brought from the past into the future.

3) Then, add what new elements could be considered: a dream list; vision, mission; organizational structure, etc.

4) Prioritize the list. Identify realistic number of priorities based on potential income.

5) Consider the Association of Fundraising Professionals as an organizational and membership model. The organization is over 40 years old. Check out the website: http://www.afpnet.org/. Since many Volunteer Managers also are responsible for fundraising there is a natural affinity with this group.

6) Consider regional meetings/think tanks for those unable to attend national meetings for planning purposes.

What I can do:
Although now retired, the profession has been good to me and I care about its future.
1) I am willing to contribute limited personal funds if presented with a plan of action including identified players; funders; accountability and evaluation processes - if feasible.
2) I am willing to be a reader of proposed plans, ideas, etc. and provide feedback.

Jane Hilfer, CVA Austin, Texas

Professional Credentials: CVA