General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Observations on Last Week

I just learned of AVA's closure this morning. While I am not an AVA member, I am involved in volunteer management and was surprised to learn of this occurance. I immediately sought to learn what was going on and found this site. In reviewing the internet and these postings, I have a few observations.

1) I am a bit frustrated at the lack of accurate information available about what is happening with AVA (note, this frustration is aimed at AVA, not this site). It seems many others are feeling the same way. I appreciated Keith Seel's posting to this site. I understand that there are legal issues involved. However, in my experience, it is worse for an organization to remain completely silent and let rumors and speculation take control than to provide even a minimal amount of information in an effort to be responsive to those who are invested in the organization. As others have mentioned, even a brief synopsis of facts of the status of AVA and the investigation would be appreciated.

2) In light of #1, it seems there has been a lot of energy invested in discussion of starting a new organization. Again, I would like to echo others' comments on this site that is important to understand what occurred with AVA before moving too far forward. There are lessons to be learned and right now, from what I've seen, we don't even know what all of these lessons are yet. Additionally, while these types of forums are helpful, they are driven by those who participate and are not necessarily representative of those impacted by these events - the full membership of AVA. There needs to be some way to at least attempt to garner input from the full membership, and as has been suggested, perhaps even those who were not members. Again, this requires time, particularly since it is not clear now how this might occur.

3) I am also a bit frustrated by the critical focus in these postings on who and what this site is. I agree that transparency is important. The questions being asked are valid. But, if I am following the timeline properly, this site went live at the end of the day 2/27. The last posting I read was 3/3 around noon. This is a total of 3 1/2 DAYS! If I also read properly, one individual (who, for transparency sake, I do not know and had never heard of before I visited this website) who recently lost his job and, I'm assuming, has other things going on in his life, is solely responsible for getting this website up and running as a VOLUNTEER. Please understand that I am not saying he should not be responsive to the concerns outlined. On the contrary, I agree with several of the suggestions put forth. But, they should be just that, suggestions. Not, implications that something suspicious or intentionally deceptive is occuring. And, I'm willing to wait more than 3 1/2 days before "walking away". If several months from now, these same issues and concerns exist, then perhaps it is time for constructive criticism.

I am hopeful that this site will provide a healthy forum for discussion of these recent events. I understand that there is a lot of emotion involved. I just hope that folks will keep things in perspective and focus on the heart of the issue - the professional support needs of volunteer administrators.

Re: Observations on Last Week

I agree with Jennifer.

A really simple timeline, that contains what has happened until now, would help. That information is held in a few paragraphs from the Treasurer but might be better in a formalize timeline. As we are all on the sidelines, it is possible that the investigation has "touched" several board members if not all of them thus making any statements on this forum ill-advised. This does not change the fact that I would like to know what happened and when. Would the board be willing to post the minutes of the last two meetings? That might give folks a greater insight to what was happening.

An understanding of what assets remain would help as well. The dust is settling as we speak. What if the journal and certifcation course are declared as potentially forfeitable? What happens then? Would a new organization be able to take these assets and use them to pay off the debt of the original organization? Would they have to sell the publishing rights to the journal? All questions that we do not know the answers to...right now. It makes me wonder if it is worth it to build off of the remaining parts . Or if would not be better to start anew and fold in the AVA parts as they are available/understood. If the journal were to become available, but it had to be used to pay back debt, do we really need it right away? Probably not.

Just my .02.

Thanks.