General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
open source volunteering management system

Hi everyone,

just wondering what you guys think of the potential of open source volunteering management system and who would be interested in participating such a project. What do you think would be the best approach to this startup.

thanks in advance,

Jason :D

Re: open source volunteering management system

OK Jason, I'll bite ... what do you mean by "open source volunteering management system"?

Professional Credentials: CVA

hi Margaret, thank you for your interest.

what I am thinking is getting a few people to start thinking about the possibility of building a On-line web system that will take care appropriate tasks of volunteering management everything from planning and recriutment to volunteer co-ordination to retention. This project would be open-source (meaning it will be a free peice of software with source code available for download and further development) to enable community participation in building this system.

I am not sure if there is a project like this currently underway and in development. If there is, it would be appreciated if someone could let me know about it. Also, any comments on latest fronts in volunteering management standards and practices that would further this idea will be good.

thanks once again!

Hello Jason,

which OS platform would it be for?

Rosanna

Jason, I think this idea has merit especially if developed as a web based system. I would like to hear more.

I am currently investigating on what platform I would use but from my research it would most likely be Java. Since this platform is "fairly" open compared to other large scale platforms like Microsoft .NET. Now, because Java is OS agnostic that means that it could run on most platforms Windows, Unix, Apple OS and Linux. However, I will be doing most of my development work on a Ubuntu (an distrubution of Linux) and keep everything as open and free as I can :D

it would be greatly appreciated if someone can help me with a few question for everyone.

- is there anyone aware of an on-line volunteer management project that is currently underway? I am trying to minimise the need of re-inventing the wheel, I will make use of whats available :D

- a recommendation on the best way of kick-start this project

- a research group that does work on IT in the 3rd sector... even better the volunteer management

- research papers that deals specifically with what I am looking to do.

thanks everyone, and once again I appreciate your replies.

Jason -

I am intrigued. I'd like to speak with you regarding this for a possible story idea. First, though, I would to clarify some things as I am not quite on your level as far as my knowledge of this sort of technology. Please contact me at marla@nptimes.com if you'd be willing to participate.

Thanks,

Marla

Professional Credentials: reporter

Issues of security and practically, will need to addressed in the consideration of an open source model of a web based volunteer management system. Further complicating this challenge is the fact that solutions that address one of these issues frequently conflict with the other.

If the open source code is to be deployed by individual organizations in their own server environment, then the degree in which this will be useful is limited to those organizations with sophisticated I.T. support that can assure the organization that the volunteer profile information is safe from hackers (no small feat) and can continue to provide re-installment services each time there is an upgrade (all of which comes at a cost that needs to be considered in the use of otherwise free software).

If the system is deployed as an ASP model (where the data and program code reside on a one set of servers and everyone has access to their portion of it), the amount of I.T. support is diminished dramatically but what body is responsible for the ongoing costs of hosting the software and the security of the volunteer profile data?

Whether the software code is stored on an individual organization’s server or stored publicly in an ASP model, the security of the volunteer profile information becomes a greater challenge when the code behind the system is readily available to programmers who would like to see it (the open source model).

I am not putting all thumbs down on this idea, but since we offer a solution with some similarities to what is being suggested, I can foresee some legitimate concerns that potential users will have that will be best addressed early in the process.

Tony Goodrow
Personal Blog - www.tonygoodrow.com
Volunteer2 - www.volunteer2.com
USA and Canada 800-844-1545 Ext20 Other Countries 1-905-637-0512

Fostering growth in the volunteer sector
Incentivar el crecimiento del voluntariado
Estimulando o crescimento no setor de voluntários
Encourager un essor dans le secteur du bénévolat

hi Tony,

thanks for the reply, it is really insightful and interesting to the research that I am hoping of doing in the next few years. :D

I must say what you have mentioned is something that I havent thought about in great detail; Issues of security, IT costs, and software maintanence. I am currently trying hard to go through you blog carefully to learn from your experiences (there is going to be a bit of reading for me for a while).

I am also really interested on the technical details of the platform that you have built. So any details on that will be much appreciated!

below is a brief description on my technical architecture, and once again any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

The platform will be implemented using open-source technologies from the base up. Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy (Linux) will be the operating system installed to provide the basic operating services. The application will be built using various web programming languages including Java, PHP, Perl and many more. However, Java will be the dominant language that will provide the structural framework for the VOVMS. Liferay Portal (a Java Portal Application Framework) will be running on JBoss Web Server connecting to a MySQL Database Server presenting the relevant content to the user.

As the nature of non-profits moves towards volunteer efforts on all levels, I am intrigued by your ideas, Jason. Our group is seeking just such a web-based solution. We are all volunteers. We have lost all public funding here in California's era of budget-crisis. There is no $ to hire any staff to manage volunteers, yet we board volunteers still seek to get lots of good work done. A free or inexpensive Linux based OS system would be a valuable contribution to saving the world (which is, in essence, what we are all trying to do). Let me know how your project develops and if you need active groups in the field to test stuff.

hey Kim, thanks for your reply.

Would you know anyone with a bit of programming experience and would be keen on jumping on board?

I am also trying to find a research group that are doing or are interested in doing work around such a system and more generally ICT in Non-profits. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

My intention at this point is to maintain this platform as open and as free as possible. I am not sure of the sustainability of this model, thats why getting as much info as I can before I launch. Looking forward to hearing from you.

I am seeking advice for volunteer management software (Open source or not). What do you recommend? Kintera is currently building a volunteer module to add on to its development/membership/nonprofit software. I have also looked into Volunteer Software (volsoft.com). some people tell me that Access is adequate. Any feedback/suggestions?

Professional Credentials: Director of Volunteer Programs at the San Diego Aircraft Carrier Museum