General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Organization

Looking at recent events as an opportunity to regroup, I would like to make a suggestion. Perhaps we could build into the new organization an advocacy role. We, in Broome County NY, have been searching the internet for information on some type of tax credits or other benefits for volunteers who put in substantial time in their organizations. Perhaps there can be an advocacy arm of any new organization that can lobby or these things and generally work for more recognition of the valuable service volunteers give in our communities. This is especially timely given the greater burden placed on volunteer organizations because of budget cut backs.

If anyone out there knows of any program in their state that gives volunteers tax credits or other incentives please let me know.

Professional Credentials: Director of the Community Hunger Outreach Warehouse (CHOW) of the Broome County Council of Churches, Ordained Deacon in the Roman Catholic Church

Re: New Organization

Ed: Try contacting the Town of Harvard, MA, USA at www.harvard.ma.us to find out about a program which allows seniors to use "volunteer" hours for the town to earn a reduction on their taxes. Several towns in MA are working with this type of "volunteer service credit" program to aid house-rich/cash-poor retirees. (I had the honor of being the first "Director" of the Senior Center when we started the ball rolling.) The current Director is Ginger Quarles (978-456-4120)
http://www.harvard.ma.us/coa.htm

Professional Credentials: Masters Degrees: Theology; Public Health; CVA