Return to Website

Christian Sisters' Message and Prayer Request Board

Welcome to the Christian Sisters' Message Board. It is an enjoyable way to encourage and communicate with one another. Please tell your friends about the board and about http://www.christianmirror.com.

Christian Sisters' Message and Prayer Request Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speech Topic

We've been blessed to be able to put our son into a Christian school. From time to time, papers/speeches/projects are assigned that will link back to "Christian beliefs". My son has a speech due for English that is to be about a hymn, it's author, the story behind the hymn, and then a "personal application". I think he's going to use "Be With Me, Lord" by L.O. Sanderson. I think Bro. Sanderson might be an interesting topic to shake up a "nice Baptist school". He takes a stand on Biblical issues (especially baptism), but he's never been this vocal in front of his entire class. Pray that he has the strength. And that if opportunities arise, that God will give him the right words to teach others.

Re: Speech Topic

One of my very favoritist hymns! That should be good. Let us know how it turns out.
I always liked the one about the bird flying in and clinging to the chest of the composer, too. Right now I can think of neither the song or the composer. Jest losin' me mind!

In a side note, Bro. Sanderson baptized my parents in 1957. So, my son feels more of a reason to use him for his speech.

That WOULD be a very good reason to choose that for his hymn and composer! How nice!
Do you happen to know what hymn I was refering to? I still can't think of it.

Wordwoman, How about " It Is Well With My Soul " what a wonderful song and story about the writer.

Mary, I don't think I know that hymn, or at least not the story behind it. My son has finished the speech, and should be giving it some time next week. We'll see how that goes.

L.O. Sanderson was a brother in Christ and that should make a very good topic. I would love to hear your son's speech. I am not sure I remember the story that goes with it. Was he on a ship and lost his wife or something?

The one I was thinking of was Jesus Lover of my soul by Charles Wesley. The story was that he was sitting by an open window when a sparrow being chased by a hawk, flew in through the window and clung to Wesley's chest, trembling. It remained there until the danger was past, and Wesley wrote the song. That is as well as I can remember it.

That makes me think of the time we rescued a little sparrow from drowning at camp one year.

Mary, I think the story for the Sanderson song is that he was trying to do something else, but couldn't get a melody out of his head. He finally stopped what he was doing and wrote the song. I think it took him through most of the night (I can't remember for sure). He sent the music off to the man who sometimes wrote lyrics for him. The man sent back lyrics saying that that same night, he couldn't get his mind off the lyrics he was sending. It was like both men were being "worked on" by the Spirit for this song.

How interesting! The way some things work, and is a mystery to us! And some people say that we are not guided; we are not led; the Spirit doesn't work in us!
My, my, my!!!!

Re: Re: Speech Topic

Ladies please tell what song is this? It sounds so interesting.I could use a good song to learn.

Love to my sisters!

Blessed Nanny of 2, the song is Be With Me, Lord. Music: L.O. Sanderson and Words: T.O. Chisholm.
BE WITH ME, LORD
Be with me, Lord - I cannot live without Thee. I dare not try to take one step alone. I cannot bear the loads of life, unaidedl I need Thy strength to lean myself upon.

Be with me, Lord, and then if danger threaten, If storms of trial burst above my head, If lashing seas leap every where about me, They cannot harm, or make my heart afraid.

Be with me, Lord! No other gift or blessing Thou couldst bestow could with this one compare - A constant sense of Thy abiding presence, Where-e'er I am, to feel that Thou art near.

Be with me, Lord, when lonliness o'ertakes me, When I must weep amid the fires of pain. And when shall come the hour of my departure For worlds unknown, O Lord, be with me then.

One of my most favorite!