Join our Facebook friends list! Visit our Myspace page!Follow us on Twitter!

Welcome to the ARENA Message Board at ProRodeoHorses.com!

*The PRH ARENA MESSAGE BOARD is provided as a courtesy to our viewers for the purpose of exchanging questions/answers, opinions, thoughts and ideas regarding rodeo horses and rodeo life in general. ALL "FOR SALE" ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO REMOVAL

Welcome to the ARENA!
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
fluphenizine

anyone used fluphenazine? how did it affect your horse?

Re: fluphenizine

I have used with varing results. In a very small percentage of horses it has the reverse effect which I have seen, I would advise your vet tell you how much to use and try it a week or so prior to going anywhere, so you will have a good idea of how it effects your horse..Works great when all is correct and is frighting when the horse falls inthe small percentage of the reverse effects.

Re: Re: fluphenizine

I have barrel raced my horse for 6 years on and off, off when he has been injured, we have done bone scans and etc. lately we tried injecting his hocks, and he was being bad coming in the gate. my vet suggested it just in case of mind problems, my horse is kinda laid back, ya have ta really ride him and fire him up before a run. he has won wpra monies, and etc. at our last race he v-d off the first barrel and hit 2 and 3, he hardly ever hits barrels as he is really light and easy to pick up if he gets in to close. any way the next run he stopped and rared up at #1 and hit 3 when I got going. he just feels weird and unresponsive which isn't really like him.

any results like this? thank you for your time and opinion

I use 2.5cc fluphenazine in a rope horse every two weeks and worked super. Used it in another horse and he got really stupid even in the pen. Try it 2-3 weeks before competing just incase it dont works. If it works after a couple of days good and when he starts getting bad give him more, until you get him lined out. Like I said I use it every two weeks.

To use fluphen. right, you have to understand how it works best. When you give it, my vet suggests to start with 1-1.5cc the first time. And it takes about a week to see the results. It's not a miracle drug. It calms down my impressive bred barrel gelding, and makes him respond better to my cues, in the pasture, practice arena, or the alley. It DOES NOT make him walk in the alley like a normal calm trail horse. He DOES however,listen and respond a lot better though. Then if you're getting the results you like, you should give it again no sooner than 3.5 weeks after the first dose. If you think a little more would benefit you, then on the 2nd dose, add only a half cc. more. If you overlap your injection times and get too much into their system, then they pretty much become pasture ornaments for about a month, until the dose wears off. It just makes them really sluggish, and slow. The drug is used to treat mentally retarded human patients so that's why it makes the horses slow if you give them too much. It will wear off, but it takes a month or so. It's a good drug, but some people don't use it right, and think it's a miracle cure for hot horses.

Hope that helps. I like it and keep my gelding on it every month.

I used it on both of my Bugs Alive horses that were fresh off the track. I had really favorable results. I used 2 cc the first 30 days and dropped it a half cc every month until they were off of it. I would use again in a heartbeat.

Re: Re: fluphenizine

If you give the shot make forsure that you DON'T get it in a little vessel because it will make them CRAZY.