Join our Facebook friends list! Visit our Myspace page!Follow us on Twitter!

Welcome to the ARENA Message Board at ProRodeoHorses.com!

*The PRH ARENA MESSAGE BOARD is provided as a courtesy to our viewers for the purpose of exchanging questions/answers, opinions, thoughts and ideas regarding rodeo horses and rodeo life in general. ALL "FOR SALE" ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO REMOVAL

Welcome to the ARENA!
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
First Barrel

I am having trouble getting lined up for the 1st brl. How can I help my horse see where to go. We started competing this year and it seems like he remembers the last place he was at when he gets to the new arena. Once he gets around #1 the rest is fine.

Re: First Barrel

I never take full advantage of the alley when I am first starting to haul a horse. I will let them long trot up the alley and then line them up for #1 (just inside the third barrel)at the gate before I take off. You don't stop...just keep forward motion but you will notice your horse starting to search for "something" at the trot. It seems to help a ton and gives them time to look for that barrel instead of streaking into a new place. Also, don't run right at the barrel. Always start more to the center (again just to the inside of #3) and aim for your pocket- not your barrel. Hope this helps