Join our Facebook friends list! Visit our Myspace page!Follow us on Twitter!

Welcome to the ARENA Message Board at ProRodeoHorses.com!

*The PRH ARENA MESSAGE BOARD is provided as a courtesy to our viewers for the purpose of exchanging questions/answers, opinions, thoughts and ideas regarding rodeo horses and rodeo life in general. ALL "FOR SALE" ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO REMOVAL

Welcome to the ARENA!
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Severe sore front feet on 1d barrel horse Any suggestions...?

I know to get xrays.. but my son wrecked truck... in one shoeing with bar wedge pad and cut toes.. He was long and all heal cut off ... packed with venice turpintine and seems little better... He is 17 reg.. nice horse was told he was bought at Martha joesys.. but don't had a good farrier that is smart enought to look at xrays and fix.. he points both but super severe sore in toe... someone said sufla tabs and arquill.. but since I can't get him hauled until truck is here looking for help.. Probably make a good horse for a youth with some maintanance.. my heart got big and that is why I have him.. I wormed and put 100lbs on him.. He is grandson of Rocket Wrangler.. Thanks appreciate any and all input...

Re: Severe sore front feet on 1d barrel horse Any suggestions...?

Put a wider shoe on the front feet, aluminum wide web shoe and have it slightly slid back off of the toe to help protect the sole area of the toe. When your shoer rasps the hoof only have him/her rasp from the bottom up leaving the toe at a 45 degree angle. This will help w/your horse to break over in the front quicker and to take pressure off the front feet. Good luck!

Re: Re: Severe sore front feet on 1d barrel horse Any suggestions...?

mix dmso and furoson into a gravy like mix. rub it all over his hooves-- on bottom, sides and even up to his ankles. don not wrap the hooves or his ankles. this will draw out inflamation and any abcesses.

Re: Re: Re: Severe sore front feet on 1d barrel horse Any suggestions...?

Thanks for all your help. the guy shoeing him....well he put wedge pads and equipack on him and he is walking 90% better... but being around race horses and barrel horses all my life I think someone with better knowledge of shoeing navicular horses could help him.. Thanks

Re: Re: Re: Re: Severe sore front feet on 1d barrel horse Any suggestions...?

Heels must get taller and short toe is good but sounds like he has been cut to short and now is quicked.
Try to get a heel shoe and spread it wide, make sure it goes a bit off and around the bulb but up to the edge of toe. THis will pick him up in the heel area that now seems to be missing. No heel results in VERY sore toes and is a bad bad no-no!!!
The heel shoe will help to correct this until the heel can come back naturally. Do not allow for any more nipping on back half of hoof. Rasp only to keep level.
I am sorry to hear this, it appears to be happening alot lately and many sound horses are becoming navicular horses from farriers that dont really understand what they are doing. We have several horses that have now turned navic (from other farriers) that my husband has now gotten all sound and completely usable.
I wish you and this horse the very best!!!
Kathy