Join our Facebook friends list! Visit our Myspace page!Follow us on Twitter!

Welcome to the ARENA Message Board at ProRodeoHorses.com!

*The PRH ARENA MESSAGE BOARD is provided as a courtesy to our viewers for the purpose of exchanging questions/answers, opinions, thoughts and ideas regarding rodeo horses and rodeo life in general. ALL "FOR SALE" ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO REMOVAL

Welcome to the ARENA!
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Roy Duvall Retires

Bulldogging legend Duvall goes out with a bang
Courtesy PRCA

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Steer wrestling icon Roy Duvall, the three-time world champion and ProRodeo Hall of Famer, ran the last steer of his career April 29. He went out on top, splitting first place in the round to cap off a record career.

Duvall, 64, entered the 40-and-over steer wrestling category at the Duvall Jackpot, a steer wrestling jackpot he began hosting in 1978. He decided his last run of the day would be the last run of his career, and he made it count, turfing the steer in 5.0 seconds.

“The first rodeo I ever entered was a junior rodeo and I placed at it, and then my last steer I ever ran, I placed on him, so that was a pretty good way to go out,” Duvall said.

Duvall holds PRCA records for the most National Finals Rodeo qualifications (24) in steer wrestling, the most consecutive qualifications (21), and was a member of the inaugural class of the ProRodeo Hall of Fame in 1979. He won world titles in 1967, 1969 and 1972.

Some of Duvall’s family was there to witness his final run. His brother, Bill, hazed for his runs, and Roy’s nephews, Sam and Spud, were watching close by. When Sam heard Roy had decided to make the run his final one, Spud said he took the announcer’s microphone and told the crowd of 600-800 people about Roy and his accomplishments.

“As he rode in, everybody was standing up,” Spud Duvall said. “And it was just like he used to be when he was in his prime – he got a good start and slammed one down and tied for first place in the round. The crowd went wild.”