Join our Facebook friends list! Visit our Myspace page!Follow us on Twitter!

Welcome to the ARENA Message Board at ProRodeoHorses.com!

*The PRH ARENA MESSAGE BOARD is provided as a courtesy to our viewers for the purpose of exchanging questions/answers, opinions, thoughts and ideas regarding rodeo horses and rodeo life in general. ALL "FOR SALE" ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO REMOVAL

Welcome to the ARENA!
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Draw Bits / Runaway Horse

I have a 4 year old colt off the track, he's so talented and atheletic in the arena, but out in a pasture, or anywhere he doesn't have a visual barrier, he bolts.

Just wondering what others have done to deal with this problem. I am considering trying a draw bit int he arena first to make sue he knows I have control, then taking him out in the pasture.

Thanks

Re: Draw Bits / Runaway Horse

A draw bit isnt going to give you the control you need. I would suggest something with a nose band or a shank. Put a caveson on him so he can't gape his mouth and get away from the bit. Do plenty of rating, breaking gaits, etc in the arena. Teach him to work off of your voice command of Whoa and your seat setting down in the saddle. I wouldn't worry about taking him out of the arena until you can get him to stop off the voice command and your seat. Good luck.

Re: Re: Draw Bits / Runaway Horse

I have a wonder bit with a nose band that I used the last time I worked him, cavesson is a good idea!

Re: Re: Re: Draw Bits / Runaway Horse

Since he works in the arena, then I would start working him in circles at all gaits at the entrance and let him know at this "comfort" zone he must still listen. As he does well there, start working him a little farther away each time and lengthening the size of the circles. As he progresses with his responses to you then move to side of arena, then going on the outside all the way around the arena.
Take time moving him away until you get the feel of him wanting to not listen, at that spot start your circles that he has learned to listen and the progress again.
SOunds like he just needs confidence to move away from what his comfort for him.
Best of luck to you!!!
I wouldnt change bits at this point if he minds in the ring with the one he uses, stick with it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Draw Bits / Runaway Horse

A round pen works even better. Everyone has given great ideas, so just do as they have said. Until you have complete control stay confined!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Draw Bits / Runaway Horse

All wonderful ideas, I am very cautious about overusing horses in the arena so its driving me nuts to have to stay in the arena! I have also noticed that when my husband rides him - no problems, anywhere...I bought him from a man, and a man trained him when he was on the track...coincidence? I think it will just take some time, like the previous poster said, for him to get some confidence and get comfortable everywhere. I haven't changed his bit, using a copper mouthed wonder bit with a nose band, just enough control but not over the top. My husband can ride him in a plain snaffle with two reins...I'm not giving up on him anytime soon though!

THANKS