Join our Facebook friends list! Visit our Myspace page!Follow us on Twitter!

Welcome to the ARENA Message Board at ProRodeoHorses.com!

*The PRH ARENA MESSAGE BOARD is provided as a courtesy to our viewers for the purpose of exchanging questions/answers, opinions, thoughts and ideas regarding rodeo horses and rodeo life in general. ALL "FOR SALE" ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO REMOVAL

Welcome to the ARENA!
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
sour horse

what do i do to get a horse out of being sour or not wanting to work the way she's suposed to daughter learned how to rope on horse now she wont go in box or want to leave corral area when its time to go rope

Re: sour horse

Sounds like maybe that's all you do with her is rope? Try riding her outside the arena first to just warm her up. Whipping is not the answer. When she doesn't want to go in box, simply back her till she doesn't want to back. Do this over and over and she'll evenually begin to feel it's easier to go in the box. Don't run any calves once she starts going in. But walk her forward before you asked for calf time after time. DO NOT RUN!! Repeat this until she is totally calm again and slowly start back with maybe only 1 run that day. Go back to box and repeat if needed till she cooperates. Good luck John

Re: Re: sour horse

thanks for the info will try

Re: Re: Re: sour horse

My young horse did this and I would work her in the roping pen and then try to back her into the box. If she went in the box and backed up, I would let her rest. If she wanted to throw a fit I would work her in the arena and try again. Don't overwork your horse but make them tired. I did this for about a week and now I can't ride by the box without her wanting to go in. Reward your horse with rest in the box and score alot of calves.

Re: Re: Re: Re: sour horse

Also go buy some horse treats and when she does good "award her". let her eat 2-3 in the box "only"!! How do teach a dog to do tricks? Award them!! I give them to all our horses at the trialer in the arena, etc. They are waiting for them. Enough said, right?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sour horse

Horses that worked very well rarely just quit working just because. They are not like humans and wake up one day going, today, I am not going to cooperate. If your horse quit working, take her to the vet, get her checked. Its likely that she is hock sore or something similar to that. She may be out chiropractically. Check your shoeing, maybe her feet are sore. In all these scenarios, working her, backing her, round penning her..etc, will only make her madder and more frustrated. Eliminate pain as the reason first. Good luck.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sour horse

I agree with d, a good horse doesn't just decide to quit working. Either your daughter is sending the horse mixed signals, you are over doing it roping on the horse, or the horse is hurting.

If this is your daughters first rope horse and she is supposed to learn on it, I would look into selling this horse to a higher skilled roper/trainer that can fix it's vices and buying your daughter something that is going to work 100% of the time, take care of her, and tolerate her greeness to roping.