Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hot spot treatment for pregnant girl

I have a girl that just got bred, so I hope she is pregnant. She is developing a hot spot. I usually use a pred-based powder for hot spots but know I can't use that when she is pregnant. What works for you?
Thanks!

Re: Hot spot treatment for pregnant girl

The repro vet advised Domoboro (sp?). It comes in powder packets that you mix with water. I did try it and it works okay. I just use alcohol on a cotton ball for dogs with a really thick coat. Dogs don't mind it and it dries really well. You could check the label on Gold Bond Powder - I think I have also used that.

Re: Re: Hot spot treatment for pregnant girl

I've used Gold Bond, triple strength, with good results and no problems.

Good luck with both the hot spot and your girl's hopeful pregnancy.

I have heard it is safe to use the Purple Power ear solution on pregnant girls. It only has Boric Acid, Alcohol, and Genitian Violet in it. I have used it here on my chocolate pet boy, (with multiple allergy issues) and it works great on his occassional hot spots, and his ears especially.

Re: Re: Hot spot treatment for pregnant girl

all of the above remedies are good and work..if it's a really 'early' spot, i will clean 4-5 times per day with soap and water (dial has antibacterial properties) or any mild cleanser and keep a good eye on it. Also try to keep the dog from scratching...

just remember that the gentian violet will turn thinks a beautiful shade of purple....[:)s

Re: Re: Re: Hot spot treatment for pregnant girl

Thanks very much for the good wishes and helpful suggestions!

If she's bred, it won't matter if you shave the area. Air will heal a hot spot in short order.

I just went throught this. I recieved many different responses on the forum. The one that worked the best for me was which hazel, then Gold Bond Medicated powder.
I wet the area well with which hazel, patted dry with a towell, then I used a blow dryer on low setting and air dried it the best I could. Then loaded the area with Gold Bond. Worked fast and went away.
Good Luck Hot spots are not fun.

A friend suggested dabbing the hot spot with Milk of Magnesia. It worked. I do not think it has anything in it that would hurt a pregnant girl.
Good luck with the breeding.

Absolutely works, Ive been trying different methods on my pregnant yorkie a most have worked but only for short periods...She has constantly had ear infections since she was younger and I have spent hundreds if not about thousand dollars on vet bills meds cleaners ointments etc and the pills the vet gave me did not work at all....the ointment somewhat releived the itching temporarily but I recently tried soaking a garlic clove overnight in olive oil and I placed it inside an ear dropper container made sure it was clean and would place 5-6 drops in her ear x2 a day for 3 days and instantly it helped the wax came out and her ear was clean for the 3 days she didnt scratch shake her head nothing but early the 4th day she had a rash so I discontinued the drops after I used aloe vera plant and that seemed to help the irritation by the afternoon her ear was less bumpy and was a lighter shade of pink but by the 2nd day the plant didnt seem to work and she continued to scratch and shake her ear now she developed a hot spot below her ear and on the tip of her ear and I used the cotton swap with the milk of magnesia and it has worked she stopped itching and shaking her head I am so happy that ity didnt even hurt her as others suggest Apple Cider Vinegar which is a great solution mixed half with water BUT not on dogs with open lesions this will burn. Your pet is already suffering enough please use this milk of magnesia they will thank you for it!

I use Bausch and Lomb contact lens solution ... so does my handler. It works really well ..