Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hot Hot Hot Spots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help! Hot spot under ear...Older Lab licking it to death! Any suggestions to cure and prevent it from getting bigger.
Thanks!

Re: Hot Hot Hot Spots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What works for me is that I will shave around to a clear margin and then dab with Sulfadene (not sure of spelling) (can get it at Petsmart) then powder with Gold Bond Medicated Powder (yellow) and make a paste. It does dry and scatters around but the next day I will cleanse with Nolvasan Surgical Soap and redo. You have to soak it to get all the thick stuff off, but in a few days we are back to normal. I forgot to say that we wash with surgical scrub before the first appliation. We used to use Gentacin Spray but this works better. We have had them that get out of hand and then we may have to use Cefalexan. They seem to get it under the ear from when they drink the water it gets wet there. Good luck. We have tried so many things but this is the latest and it has worked. Ellie

I used to use Gentacin spray or Gold Bond powder. Now I just clean with antibacterial soap //dry the area//wipe down with alcohol. If it starts to get out of control - cephalexin

Re: Re: Hot Hot Hot Spots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have an obsessed ear licker in our family. Our older girl developed a hot spot that turned to a bad infection no matter how I was treating it. Finally had to take her in to get her on some stronger antibiotics which dried it up right away.

The difficulty with our old girl with the hot spot was her scratching at the side of her head. I doubled her dose of Prednisone for a few days and she wore her donut inner tube device.

Ellie, are you refering to sulfodene 3-way ointment?, I have one of those, is in a tube kind of redish, yellow and orange? from Farnam, I hope this is the one you use

I would use Caladryl!!! The stuff is amazing. Will
dry it up and stop the itch so they will stop digging.
I will never use anything but that again. Apply a few times a day. You just have a pink dog for a while.

Re: Re: Re: Hot Hot Hot Spots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those open to try Homeopathy, Arsenicum album 6C works very well, 1 pellet every 8 hours for 2 days then 1 pellet a day.
If you can get some Nystatin powder works well too.

I do not shave the coat. As soon as I see one I start spraying alcohol on it and the surrounding area 3-4 times a day. It will kill the staph infection and also dry out the hot spot. You rarely lose hair if you are quick. This tip came from my vet... If a pet owner wants, he will RX the gentimycin spray but alcohol is faster. I know, I know, it burns but if you have a show coming and need to dry it up without losing hair... It works.

Alcohol here too, dries it very fast, don't blot the alcohol on, either spray or drip it on the hot spot.... I have never seen hot spots go away as fast using the alcohol!
Aloha,
jackie

I find that Neo-predef works too but you have to get that from the Vet. It is a white powder that you put on the hotspot.

I would not spray alcohol on my labs EVER! Try it on a you.It stings mega. How do restrain your pup when shpraying with alcohol?

Oh come on now... it isn't that bad. Micro-shipping is WORSE! OUCH!!!!!
The hot spot is worse than the spray. I mean it REALLY clears it up FAST! I never had to restrain my dogs ever for it but I really do not get hot spots that often.

Ok Ok Ok!!!!!!!!!!!! I will try it........THANKS and Regards

HOT SPOT ON PREG GIRL

I have a bitch that is 5 weeks along and she now has a hot spot. What have you used successfully besides what I am doing now...cephalexin, surgical scrub, peroxide, listerine.

I have used it on several dogs and they didn't even flinch when I applied it so it can't hurt them when they have a hot spot I would imagine the area is numb. This treatment was recommended by my vet.
Aloha,
jackie

Re: HOT SPOT ON PREG GIRL

Alcohol! I had a pg bitch that had a HUGE hot spot from under her chin to her chest when she was pg, used the alcohol and it cleared up in 3 days.
Aloha,
jackie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I have a bitch that is 5 weeks along and she now has a hot spot. What have you used successfully besides what I am doing now...cephalexin, surgical scrub, peroxide, listerine.

I use the liquid Sulfodene but not sure who makes it. It is down in my kennel chest, but it also comes in an ointment. It actually smells like sulfur like the matches smell. It is a dark yellow and real greasy feeling.

The purple ear cleaner works wonders on Hotspots. And no need to worry with pregger girls. I just put it on, and it dies back right away. What wonderful stuff!!! You just have to deal with purple if they are yellow .

16 oz. bottle isopropyl alcohol (or witch hazel)
4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 drops Gentian Violet 1% Solution (will stain)

Mix all ingredients in the alcohol bottle & shake. (make sure you shake before every application). Put in a bottle for ease of application. I use a Sally's bottle for hair dye.

Treatment: Fill ear with solution & massage gently. The dog or cat will shake the excess out. Be careful, the Gentian Violet could stain.

Treatment:
2 times per day for the first 2 weeks
1 time per day for the next 2 weeks or until the ears are clean of infection.
1 time per week, then once a month thereafter for maintenance.

If your dog/cat has been swimming, playing in water, bathed etc. To prevent infections treat the ears afterwards.

All ingredients are available at a pharmacy. The Boric Acid is usually in the First Aid section where you find the alcohol, or ask for assistance from the Pharmacy.

Even despite the alcohol, dogs don't object to even the first treatment. The Boric Acid soothes the ear & the Gentian Violet is an anti-infection agent. This solution is also effective for the treatment of fungus type infections on the dog including hot spots.

Avoid getting in eyes.

How many times per day would you apply alcohol to a hot spot???

At least twice a day is what I do.

I just slowly poured alcohol directly on my bitch's hot spot. She did not flinch. It was clear that there was no discomfort. I am going to try it 3 times per day and see how it goes.

My dog has a hot spot, which is not getting any smaller. I have tried the Gold Bond powder, doesn't seem to be doing anything. WHICH is why I decided to search on forum to see how others have coped with the problem. Some have mentioned that alcohol clears it up fast....My question is, what kind of alcohol is it? Is it rubbing alcohol?

TIA