Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Food Allergy Diet Recommendations

Does anyone have a recommendation for a non-prescription dog food that is allergen free? My 9 year old lab has been on a prescription diet (Hills/Science Diet JD Formula) for his bad elbow for almost a year, but has developed very severe skin allergies which we believe is related to this food. The vet offered another "prescription" diet made by Science Diet called ZD Ultra. However, I am not independently wealthy and cannot afford $81.89 for a 27.5 lb bag. I need to stay away from chicken, fish, and corn and I do not have time to cook for him. Any input appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Food Allergy Diet Recommendations

California natural lamb and rice - has few ingredients and works well for dogs with issues. Although I believe it is only 21% protein ( I prefer more but my parents senior dogs have done very well on this food for years).

Do you know what in the food is causing the allergy? Just had a client yesterday tell me her dog is allergic to glucosamine.

Re: Re: Food Allergy Diet Recommendations

No, we're not sure which ingredient at this time. The vet would like me to just steer clear of all of the ingredients he was having with the Science Diet JD.

I would try any of the higher quality "low carb" grainless foods, without chicken. I feed Evo Large bites, but it is chicken and turkey. I didn't personally care for the Red Meat one as well, but you might do well with it. Evo costs about $55 per 28lb bag in my area.

Just wanted to add, that even though these foods cost more, you don't need to feed as much. I'm not sure how much you feed of Science Diet, but I feed my large boy 1cup twice a day (plus some high quality training treats and a large milkbone dog biscuit- big treat), and my girl, a little less than one cup twice a day - so a 28 lb bag lasts us about a month for 2 dogs.

What is he allergic to? Before changing foods, you should run tests. Then you won't have trial and error.

I say get to the root of it first. Test for allergies. It may not be food at all.
You can spend thousands of dollars on constant changing of foods. Been there.

Innova just came out with a red meat formula that might work for you. I just started one of my dogs on it and so far so good. They have a frequent buyer program too.

Innova makes one... grain free and it has beef... bison or soemthing... maybe it's called Wolf Cub..

Innova's grain-free is EVO. Wolf Cub is by Solid Gold and it is not grain-free. Solid Gold's grain-free is Barking at the Moon.

Carolyn-- is there anything else besides the diet that you have changed or added (supplements, medications, etc). While it may or may not be the food, you can certainly try a diet trial to see. Make sure you feed the new food for 6-8 weeks before making any judgements. Also, during the trial make sure you aren't giving other treats that conflict with the trial and personally I would stop all supplements during that time if medically possible, and no chew hooves/pigs ears, etc. I'm not particularly a prescription diet kind of vet, but the theory behind the Science Diet Z/D ultra is that the proteins are already broken down to some specifically small size that is below the size that the immune systsem reacts to. So it sort of bypasses the immune system for dogs that have allergies.

Other folks have listed some of the possible food selections- all should be fairly accessible for you. I like the California Lamb and rice because it really has only lamb, rice and safflower oil. It is a basic food but would fit the bill. Higher end would be the EVO red meat.

Are you using any joint supplement currently that has MSM in it? I've seen a few dogs have skin reactions to it.

Here in Southern New England we've had a terrible time this fall (and continuing into December) with environmental allergies-- still seeing hot spots, bad ears and anal gland problems. Usually all that settles down for the winter by now.

Lastly, have you changed anything in the dog's environment (inside or out).... new landscaping/bark mulch, etc; new carpet or floors, professional cleaned carpets,etc; new surface in dog runs, new dog bed, etc... and not to forget the basics- have you had any problems with fleas this fall? (we've also seen one of the worst flea seasons this fall)- a sensitive dog can develop diffuse pyoderma from a single flea bite.

Thanks for your helpful input!

you want a novel protein, something your dog hasn't had

natural balance makes a few LID limited ingredient diets, a fish based, a lamb based, a duck based one

if they've had "feathers" stay away from duck, (had chicken or turkey)
if they've had lamb stay away

there are many limited ingredient diets, cheaper than prescription (z/d is micro protein, my dogs weren't allergic on it, but they were "my pasty little friends" not thriving on it)

wellness makes a core diet
natural balance
the innova grain free
howl at the moon

look for things with no corn, no soy, and no protein you've had before

barb

almost forgot

and 10 weeks NO MISTAKES, no cheese, no treats, no OOPS from the UPS guy. 10 weeks of no mistakes for a good food trial

barb