Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The jailbird is home safe & sound

We cannot thank you all enough for all of the support we have received in looking for our naughty children.

As I was pulling into the drive from putting out signs, I received a call hoping it was good news.

Ozzy had gotten separated from the rest of the brat pack last night and gone up to a neighbor who thought he was hurt so he called his vet who in turn had him call the Houston SPCA to pick him up. We gave the SPCA a call, gave them a description and off we went!!

I stood at the Lost & Found window for what seemed like forever and after a few formalities, off we went to tour the Doggy Lost & Found. Not there. After telling the clerk for the third time that we thought he had been injured, she ushered us back into the lobby and asked us to wait. After a few mintues, the jailbird appeared happy as a clam and just a smidge guilty!!! Just a few scratches from probably sliding through the the brand new hole in the fencing.
We shared a few tears and sloppy kisses and plenty of hugs for the staff!!!

We finished posting Ozzy's bail, gladly made a donation to the SPCA and made our way home! On the way home, Alex (our daughter) spoke up and said "Well, I guess he has a record now?" Nothing like the whit of a child to lighten the mood!

The first thing that did make our process go very smooth "downtown", and I hope you all do the same, we have a book on each of our dogs that contains EVERYTHING so we never have to go searching for this or that. I just grabbed his book and was able to provide all of his vaccination records, rabies certificate, pictures and microchip id at the drop of a hat instead of searching for it. They commented many times on how they wished all pet owners did that.

The second is his microchip. If you do not permanently ID your dogs, please, please, please do so. PLEEEAAAASEEEE!!!

Hug your local SPCA worker!!

Well, we are going to all get some rest now.

Tomorrow morning we are getting started on our brand new electric fence system!

Re: The jailbird is home safe & sound

Candice and Jayson

I am so glad you found your pup.

As far as the electric fence goes, you won't be sorry. It only takes one or 2 zaps for them to learn.

?When I had Borzoi my fencing was sheep fencing. We didn't have access to chain link, back then.I put a hot wire about 6" off the ground, to keep the small dogs out and keep the critters from digging out, and about a foot above the top to the fence, to keep the horses out. It worked great.

Make sure your fencer is strong enough to cut weeds.

Just wondering - did the SPCA scan the microchip? I always worry that the microchip will be ignored...

Re: Re: The jailbird is home safe & sound

Hi Nancy,

Yes they did!! After providing the AVID ID sticker with the number on it, they had no doubt he was my dog.

That's great!!! It's so good to hear that.

I can't wait until they develop a GPS that's as small as a microchip!

And one that doesn't cost a small fortune a month in fees!
Annie

what wonderful news. hugs to all of you, i can truly imagine how you all feel. good idea for everyone, your book on every dog, we have the kind of dog-passports with all info here.
regards from finland.
ritva

Candace, Jayson - you guys have had a heck of a last couple of day. I can't tell you how relieved I am to see that you have all of the "brat pack" home, safe and sound. Hugs and extra cookies to all!

Thanks everyone!