Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
bis winner

Congratulations to Chambrays out of the Ruff who went BEST In Show.

Re: bis winner

Congratulations!!

Re: BIS WINNER

Congratulations to Bill and Rosie and to Jessie Herzon who has handled Hogan. She has taken him to Westminister and achieved with him 19 BOB's and now BOS. Kudos to Sandy Herzon for breeding this special dog.

What show?

Re: Re: bis winner

Congratulation on a wonderful win and that lovely boy Hogan!

Greater Miami Dog Club. President: Sandy Herzon, dog handled by the president's daughter.

I am new at the dog show world.
I am sure that this dog that won is very nice.
But I do have a question and am asking it not to start any problems, I just want to learn.
I thought that at a dog show it was tradition or policy or just the thing to do that any club officers and their family members do not show any of their own dogs. Just as a coutesty to the other exhibitors.
Am I wrong?
Please do not attack me or the people that won.
just wondering...

Re: Re: Re: bis winner

After 19 BOB at hundreds of shows wonderful he could win in front of his hometown crowd a BOS. He is a spectacular boy. Job well done Hogan you make labrador lovers proud.

Re: Re: Re: Re: bis winner

Ok, that's twice. So now I feel the need to correct your error. Hogan was not BOS, he was BIS. BOS is Best Of Opposite. BIS is Best In Show. Best Of Show is incorrect.

Some KC don't allow their members to show, some do

it all depends on the Kennel Club and their own rules. AKC doesn't forbid it.

Re: Some KC don't allow their members to show, some do

I do not fault the Breeder/Owner or Handler although it says something about their ethics, but most judges know the whole family. Tough position to put those judges in - they were dammed if they did, dammed if they did not.

Re: Re: Some KC don't allow their members to show, some do

The judge today was Labrador Breeder Judge Carl Leipman, same guy that judged the Nationals earlier this year.

Re: Re: Re: Some KC don't allow their members to show, some do

I'm fairly new. I have heard of him before. What is his kennel name? I would like to see his Labs.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Some KC don't allow their members to show, some do

TRIPLE L Labradors some of the best foundation stock from before the 80's into the early 90's.

Re: Some KC don't allow their members to show, some do

Yup. It can be mortifying for the rest of the club, however. We had a similar situation and those of us who were unhappy about it protested loudly enough that the club member was asked to resign and the club pretty well disintegrated.

Wow that is interesting??

Sounds like sour apples to me. No one was bitching at our specialty when an officer of the club won 1st with every dog they showed that day, both days. Either they are a TOP handler or the judge just thought anything they show must be good. It's part of the game, stop crying about it.

jab, get a life!

The only position on a club not allowed to show a dog is the Show Chair or their family. All other club members and their family may show dogs, otherwise there may not be many entries at some of these small shows.

Carl is really a great guy; although he doesn't really breed much these days. He's from Michigan.

There is no rule that the show chair cannot show. that is up to the discretion of the show giving club.

Per AKC rules applying to dog shows the only Club member not allowed to exhibit is the show secretary. Some clubs do place their own restrictions on who is allowed to exhibit but that is entirely up to the club.

I think he's doing Goldens now

He used my Libby as a teaser bitch a few years ago for his Golden stud dog.

I (we) do it all the time!

But heck, I haven't won BIS yet! Haven't even placed in the group. I have taken the breed points on several occassions.

I belong to and was president of an extremely small all-breed club that puts on 2 all-breed shows per year - total entries about 700. We are very rurally located, southern Idaho, and have to travel great distances to get to any show. So if the opportunity is there - we take it!

All of our club members exhibit their own dogs at our shows (except the secretary as mentioned above). We only have about 8 members who do all the work and we don't feel badly at all about showing our dogs. The handlers usually beat us - but it isn't because we aren't trying!

JMO
Valerie Jones - Bibsmom

Re: I (we) do it all the time!

OOOPPPS, I wrote...
"The only position on a club not allowed to show a dog is the Show Chair or their family. All other club members and their family may show dogs, otherwise there may not be many entries at some of these small shows."

I had not had my morning coffee and I was thinking Show Secretary but somehow typed Show Chair, my bad!
At our shows we usually have less than 400 entries and most of those are local club members.

Congratulations to all the other Lab winners as well.

I have never seen this in AKC rules. Anyone know where it says this? TIA

Re: Re: Re: Some KC don't allow their members to show, some do

Nice guy. Very successful breeding champion field labs! I think he owned the #1 field lab several years back. May be wrong - don't hold me to this.

Re: Re: Re: bis winner

Chapter 11 of Rules For Showing Dogs

SECTION 12. Any person acting in the capacity
of Superintendent (or Show Secretary where there is
no Superintendent), at a show, or any person residing
in the same household with the Superintendent or
Show Secretary shall not exhibit, act as agent or handler
at the show, and dogs owned wholly or in part by
him or by any person residing in the same household
with him shall be ineligible to be entered at that
show.

www.akc.org has all the rules that you ever wanted for everything and anything to do with dog registration, dog trials, dog shows and on and on. They even have a "search" box where you type in your query and then you submit and they give you a host of answers.