Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Taste Of The Wild

For those of you feeding TOTW, how has the quality consistency been? I am on my third bag of the bison recipe and each bag, the food has been a different color. In the last bag, the food was very dark .. and the bag I opened this evening it was quite light in color... same formula. Had anyone else experienced this? I am wondering what their quality control is like.

My dogs gobble this food up, and are doing great on it... I hate the quality issue thus far.

TIA!

Re: Taste Of The Wild

I have had one of my girls on it for over a month now. I just looked as I had brought home some sample pack to use as her treats they both are the same dark color but the sample bites are a little smaller in sizes "if that makes any sense?" I do know the day i went in the buy more food the sanples had just came in as she opened the box in front of me.My girl loves it too. I will keep better watch now.

Re: Re: Taste Of The Wild

I've had my dogs on it since last spring. I haven't noticed any difference in the color of the food. My dogs have done well on it.

Re: Re: Re: Taste Of The Wild

Have you used this food on any girls that you are fixing to breed or have bred. I could use all the info I can get on this as I am waiting for my girl to come in now and I have never used a all life stages food.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Taste Of The Wild

I personally wouldn't use it for a bitch I was going to breed because the calcium is higher. I contacted Diamond about the calcium %, and they reported: "1.9 - 2.1 % Ca, and phosphorous is 1.1 - 1.4 %, depending on which
formula.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Taste Of The Wild

I am doing the Roasted Bison & Venison. I want her on a grain free. I am at wits end on this food thing. I will be breeding her within the next 1month or 2 so want to get her on something good. She was on Fromm but a little high $. I would like to get all my girls on the same food. So I am open for suggestions.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Taste Of The Wild

Have you considered the new Canidae Grain Free All Life Stages, jab? Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it could be a good option for pregnant bitches.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Taste Of The Wild

I tried this food for a couple of months and for my guys, the stool production was tremendous. I switched to Eagle Pack Holistic but the dogs are losing weight. So, I am going to make a switch again.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Taste Of The Wild

I just started the Canidae ALS Grain-Free with my 9 year old. For some reason on ProPlan Senior she was just NOT holding coat any more. I don't like what I find on most grain free foods. It was a toss up between TOTW or Canidae. I chose canidae because it seemed more cost effective. I would have had to almost a cup more a day than what I am feeding now of the TOTW according to their chart. She is a tiny dog. Canidae was more calorie dense and the price per pound and the amount to feed was how I chose the food.

Actually neither was my boy who was on ProPlan Chicken & Rice.

As and FYI I switched my other adults to Diamond Naturals Chic/Rice and my bitch who is now done nursing is eating Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete. She has done well so far but I hate the smell of it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Taste Of The Wild

Yes, I had considered Canidae Grain Free, I may go back and check it out She seems to have a much better coat,great ears and less stool on grain free.
Other wise I would not go with the grain free. I am have a real dilemna here being she should be coming in heat anytime. Thank all of you for your info all suggestion are appreciated.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Taste Of The Wild

I highly recommend Nature's Variety Prairie, which is a high quality food and low enough in Calcium and Phos., for your soon to be in whelp girls! I kept my girl on it all the way throughout her pregnancy and after whelping her babies and she did fantastic on it! I can't say enough great things about it! It's worth the extra cost, and you really don't have to feed as some of the other foods and they hold their weight and coats look great, and no ear gunk ever!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Taste Of The Wild

IDK, I had been using the NVI Chicken, and had to take the furkids off of it - terrible funk in the ears. Found out it contains flaxseed, and then switched to the Rabbit formula (which doesn't have flaxseed in it.) Poof! Problem solved. It was getting to be a bit pricey, though, so I am now feeding Taste of the Wild. No complaints here so far - they're holding their weight, coats are good, stools are about the same. Can't beat it for $18 less a bag.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Taste Of The Wild

I have been feeding TOW now for about 6 weeks. I fed Canidae for 2 years prior. When they changed the formula they ruined it as far as I am concerned. I have an 8 year old who's hair started falling out in clumps, her ears started getting gunky again and she started to scratch and dig. The 6 year old's coat became dry and lifeless. The 8 year old's coat is now normal and coming back in as it should and not digging herself. She gets the Salmon. The others are eating the Venison formula. The 6 year old's coat now has a shine and life to it again. The younger ones coats have greatly improved and glossy now. And they all get 2 cups a day. They are holding their weight. I do add some raw chicken and beef for them a couple of times a week. They are dogs and love it. I have not fed it to a pregnant bitch yet, but see no problem with it. The protein is much higher, and should be good for a pregnant or nursing bitch. I have not noticed a change of color from one bag to the next. Frankly the stuff smells good enough to eat to me.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Taste Of The Wild

I am wondering if the Salmon would be ok to feed a girl I would be breeding and then still fine for after wards too is is a little lower in Protein, not sure on the Calcium. Seems like at one time on here I remember someone saying no fish for breeding girls?? I do the Bison. I have been very pleased with it so far but have not done any breeding since I stated this food that was my concern and know many of you are much wiser about this than I.
Thanks!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Taste Of The Wild

After the PP shredded I am trying NVP-I notice so far my girl is drinking much more water than when on PP L&R-anyone else exp this with NV? Also-has anyone used this food longterm and if so how have your results been-I know it has not been on the market as long as some of the others. As far as TOTW I "heard" it "used" to be of a better quality-then some change happened-can't remember if it was in the formulations or company changed hands....
Thanks

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Taste Of The Wild

My guys have been on NV Prairie kibble and frozen raw for about a year and a half. I have not noticed any increase in water consumption. They are doing great on the food and require less food to maintain their body weight. My 90 lb. boys eats 1 1/2 cups of kibble and 6 oz of raw. He looks great and has a nice coat and activity level. My 11 yr. old girl who is pretty active for an old buzzard eats 3/4 cups of kibble and 3 oz of raw....she weighs in at 65 lbs. I'm very pleased with this line of food.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Taste Of The Wild

I'd like to know if you fed a different kibble along with raw prior to NV..I'm wondering if it is the kibble that is offering such nice results, would the kibble alone give you the same results or, if it really is in the addition of the raw that you gain the benefits from regardless of the brand of kibble.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Taste Of The Wild

Since I made the switch to NV I haven't fed anything else. This is also the first time I have ever fed raw food. I tried the NV frozen raw because I like that is is a complete and balanced diet in and of it's self. You can feed just kibble, just raw or both. The company also has canned and freeze dried food. I have some friends that feed just the dry and some that feed just the raw...all with the same good results. I guess I'm just lucky that this combo seems to work for my dogs. Go to the NV web site and read up about it. If you have questions the company is very quick to respond....Best of luck with your food choices!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Taste Of The Wild

I've not tried NV but have feed completly raw and now raw with kibble and have tried a few different kibble's but my 90 lb boy eats 2-1/2 cups kibble with 1 lb raw and girls that are about 65 - 70 lbs eat 2 cups with 3/4 lb raw. If on straight raw about 2 lbs per day. Curious as to how much others are feeding that are feeding either raw or combo.