Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
flight restrictions

I'm going to fly with my dog but goes as checked baggage as he can not fly in the cabin, but the temperature for that day is below 45 , any recommendation or suggestion I'm using American Airlines, are they flexible with their restrictions???
thanks have anice day

Re: flight restrictions

You should just be able to get a statement of acclimattion from your vet: i.e. 'This animal can withstaand a thremal zone between 20-85 degrees Farenheit'.

Ask your vet to write on your health certificate this statement: "This dog is acclimated to subfreezing temperatures (0-30')."

They won't let your dog on the plane if your health certificate does not state "acclimated to subfreezing temperatures", if the actual temp. outside happens to be below 30'. Good Luck!

Each time you call an airline and depending on who happens to take your call, you get a different answer. I thought that if the dog was on the same flt with the owner that the temps don't matter and that it was just when you were shipping the dog that you needed a letter of acclimation. Wish they were more enthusiastic about helping dog owners out.

Re: Re: flight restrictions

Last time I flew with dogs I was told that my vet should NOT put the "acclimated to" comment, that it was the airlines who made the decision if the dog could fly or not. They even firmly suggested I tell him he stop doing it.

Re: Re: Re: flight restrictions

That's nonsense! If that particular dog has a layover and it's not on there, guess what?, the dog will not go any further! Keep having your vet include an acclimation regardless what they tell you.

Last time I flew with dogs I was told that my vet should NOT put the "acclimated to" comment, that it was the airlines who made the decision if the dog could fly or not. They even firmly suggested I tell him he stop doing it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: flight restrictions

It depends on the airline. Continental uses climate controlled vehicles and the dog is not out in the elements. if the statement of acclimation is there and the temperature drops below the range, the dog goes no further. If it is not there Continental will still ship. Continental is the only airline I know of that is this way.

I use Continental when weather is an issue, they do use the climate control vans and such.
I have a pup scheduled to go out of Jacksonville into Denver Sunday, no matter the weather.

Delta and US Air always requires a letter of acclimation, in fact they highlighted a paper I gave my vet that states exactly what they want it to say.