Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pro Plan Proformance

I have heard that this is a very good food for any age. There has been so much discussion on dog food having changes in the ingredients lately.
Has this food stayed the same?
I have a girl with a very loose stool.
She has been on RC Lab #30 and then I tried Blue Buffalo Lg Breed Adult.
Neither firmed up the stool.
She has been to the vet twice and they cannot find anything wrong medically and feel it is the food.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Pro Plan Proformance

I was having alot of trouble with one of my crew exact same issue.. loose stool. We did a fecal and sent it out to the lab rather then doing an in house. Nothing showed up but I still suspected Ghiradia so we did a 10 day course of Metro as well as switched the pup over to PP Performance and put him on Purina FortiFlora. Knock on wood 3 months now with no problems.

Good Luck.

Re: Re: Pro Plan Proformance

We are only on our 2nd bag of Pro Plan Performance and really love it or I should say the dogs love it !! My only complaint about Pro Plan is that they still use Corn and fillers in most of their kibble and yet they charge as much as the other premium kibbles that are grain free.

This is why I just switched my girl to Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete. It is the only performance food I could find that was corn-free, wheat/soy free. So far so good. But the food is stinky. It also is $11+ less a bag than Proplan and a bigger bag.

I use performance on two young dogs with high metabolisms. Less quanity to keep weight on and output low. Works great.

I also use performance for bitches in whelp and nursing pups.

The adult chicken and rice original formula will continue to be available, which makes us very happy! Was not looking forward to testing other foods on my guys.

MK

I have heard of reproduction issues from Diamond products. Have you been successful breeding your girls on Diamond?

Re: Re: Re: Pro Plan Proformance

I think ProPlan's price on Performance is right in line with other foods that have similar ingredients. Performance has always worked very well for me with bitches in whelp through lactation until I wean the pups. If a big litter, I will start the pups out on performance as well. It is an all life stages formula. I use to get hung up on ingredients, but I can't mistake how well my dogs do on ProPlan. I switched from Canidae over 3 years ago and feed mainly the Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula and as long as Purina makes it, I will feed it!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pro Plan Proformance

I agree with the price being in line. But when I can feed a food that is more meat based I would prefer that. I was surprised to see Diamond had a performance food with no corn.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pro Plan Proformance

Oh and my other beef with PP lately has been in the past year they have raised their price over $10. Many breeders stayed loyal but they never offered to up their breeder checks.
I don't get all hung up in ingredients any more either. But if I can pay for less corn and grain in a food I will.
I also have been experiencing poor coats on my boy and oldest girl. She has had the BEST coat since on ProPlan but her last couple bags she has been itchy and the boy has not had coat since his spring shed. He is bald.
I tried the my oldest on PP selects and I really did not like it. She got really itchy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pro Plan Proformance

Unfortunately, every company has raised their prices on dog food. The cost of fuel sent so many things through the roof....let's just hope with a decrease in fuel, the costs may come down again.

I do find it interesting that if I go to a feed store the prices have increased but significantly less than Petco or Petsmart. The pet superstores is where I saw the most dramatic increases across the board on all premium and super premium foods.

ProPlan has not changed any formula but the new shreds, chicken, beef and lamb. Performance, SS&S and all the rest of the formulas are exactly the same.

Not all dogs do well on one food. What works for mine may not work for others...good thing there are so many different ones to try!
Good luck with the new food.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pro Plan Proformance

If you don't mind me asking, so what do you use now?
Have the coats improved, itching subside?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pro Plan Proformance

I use PP Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula. I had one girl that had chronic ear problems and another with coat issues. They have been eating SS&S for over 3 years now. The ears cleared up and the girl that looked like a bald pig grew in a great coat within 6 weeks and I never had any issues since. I do switch to PP Performance for my girls that are in whelp at about 6 weeks. I don't increase the amount but feed that through whelping and lactation. I like the PP puppy for my babies.

I understand that all dog foods prices went up and their reasoning why. I've been feeding my dogs ProPlan for a couple years and over the last 6-8 months is where I have not been happy.
Other than my bitch on Performance.
I switched her to the Diamond Performance because ingredient-wise I thought it was MUCH better.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pro Plan Proformance

All the dogs on your site have beautiful coats-if that food is contributing to them then sign me up!
Very nice.....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pro Plan Proformance

Thank you!

Marci

petco

And has anyone else noticed that along with the huge price increases at petco that you no longer see those nifty sales of 6$ off a bag that used to be so predictable?
Now we see 4$ off, but it hardly offsets the price increase. I bought from them for the 10% off bulk rates, and the free bag when I bought 10 but I think I may just see what the math comes out to if I go to the feed store, we will see.
Annie

I hear ya on the super pet stores like Petco raising their prices on kibble alot more than our local feed N supply store where I get my Eagle Power Pack for pregnant females. One of our local pet stores which is privately owned, not a chain, had a price tag of $56.00 for a 37 pound bag of Pro Plan Chicken and Rice. I couldn't belive it so I snooped around at prices on all their other merchandise and saw that they were almost double than even Petco and Petsmarts and for sure my Feed N Supply store which is always cheaper on products.

I've been doing the math and crunching the numbers where I live. ProPlan is great. Though I am not happy with the new formula and lucky to not be feeding it. I have many of my customers come in with bad results. More poop, diarrhea and over all just dissatisfied. Most of them said they were complaining and many have switched.
Yes we have not seen a good sale price in over 6 months. Not to long back we had a whopping $2 or $3 saving. WOW.
My reasons for changing were numerous. Cost, quality etc. I also think that if you are loyal and they have raised prices so much and made many bags smaller (AND you have to feed more) yet you still only get a $7 breeder check??
I think I can feed them better for a better cost. Maybe? We will see how they all do.

You know they are bringing back the old formula right?
They sent me a letter letting me know that they were "listening" to the loyal breeders that let them know just how unhappy they were about the switch. I have not seen it back in the store yet, but luckily I had stocked up a bit. It was said to be back on shelves by the first part of the year.
I quipped a bit about the price as well at first with all the corn etc, but have to say, the chix and rice has done very well for my little gang and I liked the way Purina handled the great food scare of 07:)
Best Wishes,
Annie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pro Plan Proformance

I had two guys with really soft stool. Tried everything from pumpkin to flagyl and nothing worked. I have a well and even had my water tested. Finally I tried acidophilus from thewholisticpet.com. It took a week or two but it worked for both dogs.

Re: Re: Re: Pro Plan Proformance

The only PP food that showed a difference in size of bag is the Shreds blend. The bag is a 35# bag. The reason is the shred is lighter and weighs less. Volume wise, it is the same amount as the old chicken and rice in the 37.5 pound bag.
I know the original chicken and rice formula is due back in January. They are trying to get the packaging completed. Labrador breeders were instrumental in its comeback. The original C & R was used by many, many breeders.
People will switch if not happy with their current food and rightly so, but there are still a lot of devoted ProClub members that love getting their $7 checks.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pro Plan Proformance

I had switched to ONE when the shreds came out.
Happy with it and plan to stay with it. Unless of course they mess with that too LOL!
Same # of PP points for the $7 checks too!