Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
smoozing

How much conversation should a Judge have with the handler while Judging the dog? I am not talking
general conversation, I am talking about the handler telling the Judge about the dog, and how far the handler had to drive to get to the show. I know that politics rule at times, but should it be less obvious? So I am hoping to hear from the Judges on this one. What topic is OK while the Judge is going over your dog? Is it OK to make others wait for photo's while the handler has a reunion with the judge? Please just opinions about the above, no names, places, dates etc.

Re: smoozing

before or after judging for the breed???

Do you have any idea how much crap this topic is going to stir up? Not to mention it has been brought up soooooooooo many times already. Look, do what you think is best while showing and don't worry about anyone else. If they want to talk they will like it or not. Will this nonsense ever end?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

How much conversation should a Judge have with the handler while Judging the dog? I am not talking
general conversation, I am talking about the handler telling the Judge about the dog, and how far the handler had to drive to get to the show. I know that politics rule at times, but should it be less obvious? So I am hoping to hear from the Judges on this one. What topic is OK while the Judge is going over your dog? Is it OK to make others wait for photo's while the handler has a reunion with the judge? Please just opinions about the above, no names, places, dates etc.

Re: Re: smoozing

Thank you, I have no idea what you are saying "if they
want to talk they will like it or not"??? Why did
you even read this post if you found it so offensive.
They are legitimate questions that did not point a finger at any one or any dog. There are a number of Judges on this site and it would be nice to hear how they feel about the questions, how about their opinions on Ring etiquette? I had no idea this site
had post police, if you give me your email I will ask your permission before I ask another question.

Replying to:

Do you have any idea how much crap this topic is going to stir up? Not to mention it has been brought up soooooooooo many times already. Look, do what you think is best while showing and don't worry about anyone else. If they want to talk they will like it or not. Will this nonsense ever end?

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: smoozing

Ring etiquette.....now thats funny! Pointless is all I was saying. Didn't offend me. I just don't see the point in your post. unless you're trying to start trouble. I just don't get it. As far as my e-mail.... no thanks I get enough JUNK email. Have a nice evening!

Replying to:

They are legitimate questions that did not point a finger at any one or any dog. There are a number of Judges on this site and it would be nice to hear how they feel about the questions, how about their opinions on Ring etiquette? I had no idea this site
had post police, if you give me your email I will ask your permission before I ask another question.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: smoozing

Again, let me thank you for pointing out to all what subject is of no value. I happily with draw my questions, I would hate to be the root of discord on this forum. You could have just stayed out of it and
let those who had something constructive to say answer
the questions. I love control freaks! I was not going to be a _____________ like you, however,I can see why you do not want any more junk mail, with that
attitude I would guess that is the only mail you get.

Replying to:

Ring etiquette.....now thats funny! Pointless is all I was saying. Didn't offend me. I just don't see the point in your post. unless you're trying to start trouble. I just don't get it. As far as my e-mail.... no thanks I get enough JUNK email. Have a nice evening!

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: smoozing

I think this is a viable question.I know a breeder/judge that thinks nothing of telling the show judge that her dog needs these points to finish!
To me, that is a NO NO!

Did telling the judge that those points were needed to finish actually help? Shoot, if I had known that trick I wouldn't have had to struggle for 14 months for that one final single point. In reality, I let the judge talk to me, I never initiate conversation but I do politely respond when spoken to.

Judges can schmooze as much as they want, but they need to stay on schedule at the least. Once again, they should avoid even the appearance of impropriety, but many do not.

Bottom line, either talk to the AKC rep, write a letter to the AKC, or forget about it. Just not worth stressing over.

I do think it has become much more common now than in years past to greet the judge. Many moons ago we would never speak to a judge unless spoken to, and it was usually a one or two word answer. Nowadays many are calling out their dogs name when the judge is nearby. Idle chit chat about seeing the bite or greeting of the dog is not out of sorts, but a whole conversation should be frowned upon.

As we all know, a AKC judge takes no other factors into consideration when judging a dog. Now, can we all move on?

This is a very good question. When I am judging , I don't mind at all , a little greeting. If I notice a handler that is nervous ( hands shaking ) as I go over the dog ... I try to say something that will put them more at ease. This brings back memories when I first started showing dogs. I was so afraid, my hand was throwing bait everywhere and I think I almost hit a few judges in the face with my hand flying all around. I think back at the judges that were so nice to the dogs and the people in the ring and how much respect I had for them.... even if my dog was the first that was cut, I went away with a little more knowledge from the experience of what to work on...that was worth the entry.

Nancy,
Yes, you are good at helping! I was so nervous with my little wild boy at a show and thought I would have more control if I hand stacked him. You nicely told me that you have been in those shoes and to just free bait him and see. He set himself perfectly and wagged away. THANK YOU!!!

I love the comments from the Judges on the Forum, why do you want to move on? I hope the comments keep coming! Nancy had to grab my choc lab that my husband un-snapped as he was presenting her. Every one laughed, well almost everyone. Just ignore the thread if you have a problem with it.

Replying to:

As we all know, a AKC judge takes no other factors into consideration when judging a dog. Now, can we all move on?

haven't been here long eh??

" I had no idea this site
had post police, if you give me your email I will ask your permission before I ask another question."

Dear Owner-Handler,

I fear that somewhere along the way you missed the definition of sarcasm. So I will take it upon myself to enlighten you.

sar-casm 

–noun

1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark

Thank you for your time, have a wonderful night.

Dear Know,
I bet you'll sleep better tonight knowing you've made someones day brighter. Merry Christmas.

Dear Know more,

Thank you so much for your heart felt reply. I can really feel the love just oozing threw my monitor. I would also like to wish you a Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy new year!

"heartfelt" one word, no space.

whoops, I missed two more:
that would be "oozing THROUGH my monitor",
and,
New Year is capitalized.

ROTFL!

And since "schmooze" is from Yiddish, "Merry Christmas" is an even funnier!

Re: Re: schmoozing

Dear Know,

Your wit was not lost on me, I am a bit more direct,
BITE ME! Now we can move on.

Replying to:

Dear Owner-Handler,

I fear that somewhere along the way you missed the definition of sarcasm. So I will take it upon myself to enlighten you.

sar-casm 

–noun

1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark

Thank you for your time, have a wonderful night.

Are you guys like 2????

"like"?

giggling

"Are you guys like 2????"

Just having some fun with a ridiculous thread. You remember fun right? No need to be serious at all time here. Is there?

Re: Re: schmoozing

Wow Know,

You are just so smart, I think it would be so helpful to those of us that are so ridiculous if you could
make a list of subjects that would be acceptable to
you. I know I would appreciate your scrutiny.
Now, THAT was SARCASM. Why not just stay out of threads if you do not like them. Oh, that's right,
you make it your mission to troll and add your wonderful, en-lightning comments. How do you see your
rude comments as funny? I guess you are laughing now.
OK, think real hard, come up with the perfect put down and remember to check your spelling. I can't wait.

Replying to:

"Are you guys like 2????"

Just having some fun with a ridiculous thread. You remember fun right? No need to be serious at all time here. Is there?