Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
GPS System

OK so I will be the first to admit that hey why do I need another gadget to take care of while on the road. Boy was I wrong. My husband bought me a Garmin Nuvi 250 last week. I used it to get around St Louis/Belleville Il this past weekend and I am hooked. Carmen the Garmin didn't let me down. I will say that half way there I thought hmmm how stupid of me not to check MapQuest before I left. That went out the window when I drove straight to my motel and the show site. I am hooked. So any one out there that is having second thoughts about another "gadget", SUCK IT UP and BUY ONE! You won't be sorry!!

Re: GPS System

You are so right...I bought a TomTom 930 a few of weeks ago and I am in love with it! Going to a show 2 weeks ago I went right to the fairgrounds in dense fog, through bad neighborhoods, couldn't see a freeway sign or street sign through the fog...but the GPS took me straight there, and back to the motel in the dark of night.

It's on my wish list for Christmas.
Actually, it's the only thing on my list!

I love mine. We purchased a Garmin a couple years ago. I would be lost without it now. Literally
I take her everywhere and she even has a name.

I love mine too. I suggested to Dad that he get one for Mom (since she is the one who drives a lot to visit kids and grandkids. They are hooked too.

My only complaint, desire for an upgrade, would be perhaps a South African Male voice... Why are they all women?

Cheers, K

Re: Re: GPS System

Ah Yes, We love our Gabby Garmin, she is so helpful. Have fun..........

I used my GPS for the first time this past weekend too...Garmin Nuvi 760 (AKA...Handy Andy) It was my first solo trip to a show, hubby stayed home dog sitting.
Anyway, I accidently muted "Handy Andy" and ended up turning off 2 exits too early, being the good guy that he is he got me back on route. I am looking forward to hitting the road once again with my little man.

Handy Andy, Sharon that is too funny!! I think we need a choice, either a female or a male voice! Hmm wonder who we can talk to about this....but I can just see us now, driving down the highway late at night and a nice, deep male voice coming over the radio...too many chances of day dreaming about what that male behind the voice looks like! I can see trouble coming!!!!

Never thought of that Debi.....my GPS...aka Handy Andy....has a deep sexy English voice which cracks me up when he gets the pronunciations wrong. He also drives a Sherman Tank.

One thing that I did learn on a recent trip was that if you need to make a detour, to hit the detour button before you get off the route you were one. It generously offered to send me north, back into the traffic I was trying to avoid. Fortunately, I had seen alternative roads on the screen before taking the off-ramp and was able to get myself going in the right direction long enough that it offered a better route.

Cheers, K

I went through all the setup options on my new Nuvi and there are several voices available. There are also different icons preloaded and others you can get online.

If you are a Mapquest user like I am, you can look up an address on Mapquest and download that waypoint as a "Favorite" onto your Garmin. Then when you want to go there, you just select that favorite and hit GO.

Good deal

If you haven't bought a GPS yet.. Sam's club has a great deal on the Garmin nuvi750.. 198.00 http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=5733

Check online, they are 4-500

I went to the Detroit show last Jan,, and was lost on a couple of side streets,,(map quest) SCARY

Don't go out of town with it.

Re: Good deal

meant without it,,,

My Garmin has male voices, ours is called something else (american jack?) we call him Geoffrey. Geoffrey goes everywhere with me, gets us to dog shows, and hotels and restaurants, and finds me gas stations and yarn stores on the road
I agree, don't leave home without it!!!

barb

If you have a Garmin, and you go into Settings, then Locale, you can change the sex/ accent of the person directing you. Lots of choices!

On a sidebar, isn't it interesting that many of us have names for our helpful GPS systems? Mine is "Vivian"