Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Use of Frontline Plus on Pregnant Girls

I'm hoping to hear from some long time breeders or breeder/vets who have used Frontline Plus on their pregnant girls and feel it's ok and won't cause congenital problems with pups. I have 2 girls who are 4.5 wks pregnant. Just found some evidence of fleas on one of my pregnant girls so I put Frontline Plus on both girls yesterday. This is a bad time of year for fleas in our area and I can't stand the thought of fleas on any of the pups. Have heard many times from other breeders that Frontline is ok to use on pregnant and nursing dams but I used Frontline Plus. Is this still ok ?

Re: Use of Frontline Plus on Pregnant Girls

I have always used Revolution,,

GENTLE
• Gentle enough to use on puppies and kittens 8 weeks of age or older without weight restrictions

• Approved for use on pregnant or nursing mothers (approved for FRONTLINE Plus and Top Spot® only)

From the website

Yes it's safe

Last summer I took my dogs to the beach and they came home with fleas! Now this has happened before and I have bathed them and sprayed the house and no more fleas. Well this time I was a few weeks away from one of my girls coming into season and being bred so I didn't want to use anything too harsh. So I put Frontline on everyone however my vet said I had to treat with Frontline for a minimum of 3 months to completely get rid of the fleas since adults can lay eggs, etc and the Frontline must be there at certain times to make the eggs sterile. These fleas were horribly persistent.

I did have to treat my girl three times - first a week or so before she came in season, then again the week she was bred, and then again when she was 4 weeks pregnant. She delivered naturally, was a great mother, and had a very healthy litter.

Re: Yes it's safe

Oh, that's reassuring to know. Thanks for your input on this all !!

Re: Re: Yes it's safe

I have used it on my girls for many years I call frontline to make sure in the beginning they said it was fine to use and I have never had anything happen to my puppies. I put it on about 2 weeks before pups are born and then not again till pups are finished nursing. That part is just what I do.

Re: Re: Re: Yes it's safe

I have a litter of 8 pups and yes, I did put Frontline on her before they were born. I would not do anything the first few weeks. But all pups were great. Can't take fleas. Frontline reg. NOT PLUS.

Re: Use of Frontline Plus on Pregnant Girls

I don't use it at that time.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Yes it's safe

I used Frontline Plus. This is what I was asking about. What is the chemical in Frontline Plus that makes a difference between just regular Frontline ?? I put it on my 2 pregnant girls when they were 4 weeks pregnant. I sure hope we don't end up regretting it.