Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rough concrete

I just had a new concrete pad poured for an outside kennel area. It has a very rough texture and I'm worried it will tear up the pads on the dogs feet. Is there anything I can do to smooth it, or fix this ?

Re: rough concrete

I had my runs treated with a 'broom' finish after the concrete was poured. No issues with their feet. Is yours rougher than that? I would call the concrete people and see if they can sand it down a bit to smooth out the finish.

When I had concrete poured our concrete guy made it smooth as can be. I was afraid the dogs may slip so I had him use a brush and lightly made it have brush marks on the very top. It is not rough at all, very smooth but not slippery when wet. I think your concrete guy is not too good if he left it very rough.

Re: Re: rough concrete

They will be just fine, look at it this way, it will file their nails down ! I would rather have it a bit rough than too smooth. It's not like any of us leave these dogs on concrete 24/7 !

Re: Re: Re: rough concrete

I just have visions on bloody raw cut up pads. We're going to try grinding it smoother, it's rougher than a broom finish right now. If that doesn't work than guess I'll have the entire thing recapped. That's what I get for not being there during the finishing process after the concrete was poured

Re: Re: Re: Re: rough concrete

to take off real ruff spots brick it! ( rub a brick over top to sand it, works real well)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: rough concrete

Thank you, I'll give the brick a try.

I had a similiar issue when I had my outdoor run built.It was a broom finish but was just a little too rough. I used an EP Henry paver(brick)to smoothe out the concrete.I wouldn't use a clay colored brick as it will leave marks.

Re: Re: rough concrete

Wow, this has been VERY informative, I'd never have thought of using a brick, and then still learned re: the clay colour.

Thanks!