Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
zoning laws outside Detroit, Mi

Is anyone on the forum familiar with Oakland Co., Michigan? NW of Detroit I believe.......

My question is; is it possible to do training or pet sitting in others' homes if you are not zoned commercial or business?

I am assuming not, as your residence would contain your supplies,files,receipts,etc.....hence, operating a business out of a residence.

Any info/experiences would be helpful. I will read zoning thoroughly from website, though.

Thanks

Re: zoning laws outside Detroit, Mi

It depends on zoning, agricultural or residential? Agricultural allows almost everything. You might contact the township office for the address in question and ask.

JMHO ~ What you are talking about doing is essentially a sole person "consulting" business. You do the "work" at the clients house and you simply do the business paperwork at your home. In the places where I have lived doing this kind of work has nothing to do with your place of residence being zoned commercial or business. As long as you do not do training sessions or pet sitting at your house you are a "consultant." And from a business perspective you can operate as DBA, LLC, or S corp (whichever makes more business sense from your accountants point of view).
I would also go to your local county/city and ask what their rules on consulting from home are. Usually they are fairly straight forward.
Good Luck

Oakland Co. is huge

You might have to check whatever city/township you're thinking about.

Thank you for your info. I am waiting for the exact address and if it is zoned A1, etc......

I appreciate the "consultant" thing, because that really is exactly the description.

It is just a look about for now.

Thanks