Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where can I find a goose???

Off topic, but in need of help. I want to have a Christmas Goose for dinner this year, but have no idea where to find a goose? All I can find are hams & turkey's. Is there a store I can order from on-line or a food chain store I can pick one up at?

TIA!

Re: Where can I find a goose???

You can find a Christmas goose at of all places...Walmart!! You can also find them at Whole Foods and Harris Teeter.
No one was more surprised than I was when my husband came home with a goose from Walmart last year for Christmas Dinner!

Re: Re: Where can I find a goose???

I should have known, lol!

We usually have a Ham or Turkey, but I though why not goose this year.

They are all over Denver, CO!

Our local golf courses are covered with them! They aren't as good as the farm raised domestic geese, though. Wild geese taste terrible!

Local butcher?

Ask a Labrador? :)

Leslee Pope
Huntcrest

Re: Re: Re: Where can I find a goose???

Right after DUCK DUCK! I think there is a goose.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Where can I find a goose???

Isn't goose all dark greasy meat like duck?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where can I find a goose???

PLEASE read online (or from a cookbook) recipes for goose. I am not a fan of the meat, it is rather gamey and somewhat greasy. If I was to cook this for dinner, I would use the breast meat only. Have you ever had goose? I am not sure I would base my holiday meal on it if it is my first time trying it. We were raised on wild fowl and my mother is an expert at the 1000 ways of preperation, however, I never got used to the taste. Good luck!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where can I find a goose???

Next to bear meat, wild goose is the worst tasting meat I have ever eaten. I did enjoy a farm raised goose, though. But, give me a turkey or a ham any day!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where can I find a goose???

Put the goose in a brown paper bag before you put it in the oven. It will absorb a lot of the grease.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where can I find a goose???

I have eaten both wild and domestic goose. The domestic goose was prepared as a domestic duck; the wild goose was just breasted out, cooked medium rare, and served with a sauce. It was ok, but not my favorite gamebird.

I think we bought our domestic goose in the local grocery, but we had to order it. I am sure any specialty meat shops or butchers could order you one. I really was not too thrilled with the taste of the domestic goose.

Use a goose decoy as a centerpiece, decorate with holiday ribbons and ornaments...there is your Xmas Goose.