Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Search for Marley stage dogs

I was wondering why the producers didn't go in search of Lab puppies and all the dogs inbetween ages right in Hawaii where they filmed ?

Re: The Search for Marley stage dogs

I'm pretty sure not all the scenes were filmed in Hawaii.

I know dog club members were part of the dog class scene filmed in S. Fl.

Not sure about the rest, but just looking at the trailer, I can pick out some scenes that are definitely South Florida.

Re: Re: The Search for Marley stage dogs

My understanding is that a LARGE portion was filmed in FL and I have heard from some dog people who were involved in getting their dogs on film.

Re: The Search for Marley stage dogs

I know the producers spoke to several top breeders in California asking for the older age Marleys. Maybe that portion was to be filmed in CA?

Re: Marley dogs & location

A great part of the filming took place in Miami, Florida. Many scenes were filmed off the Rickenbacker Causeway.
A national animal talent agency was hired to find the "Marleys" and the extra dogs (I think it was Feathers & Fur...don't hold me to that). They in turn subcontracted with a couple of local animal talent agents in South Florida to help aid in their search. They even visited the 2008 South Florida Labrador Retriever Specialty to meet some of the Labs and breeders.
Some of the puppies used in the movies did come from Florida. Others were brought in -- for example the "Mommy dog & puppies".
The "old Marley" is a Florida dog who was taken up north and cared for in style to film that part of the movie. Not only did "old Marley" come back home safe and sound but brought along a "little Marley" as a new companion.
I can't wait to see the movie as many of my friends got the "extra" parts -- no Labs, though, as extras.
One of the movie theaters is donating the huge Marley promotion cutout to our school so that on the days when our "home Lab" isn't there, the kids can still go hang out and read with giant "Marley".

Re: Re: Marley dogs & location

We are lucky enough to have several of our Labradors and even one of our Jack Russell's in the movie, and yes a good portion of the filming was done in S. Florida from Hollywood Beach on down to Miami.We are so excited about all the work our dogs did as most of it has been featured all ready in all the current trailers. Two of our puppies were used to film the beach scene of Marley as a puppy running from Jennifer and Owen to the Chariot of Fires theme, a few pictures from this shoot day are being used in promos on myspace here's a link
PS: he's the adorable pup running down the beach...I love his bone in this picture it's really a great shot!

http://www.marleysgifts.com/downloadables.aspx

One of our 10 mnth puppies is seen in the trailer going over the fence with a turkey

We also brought 12 dogs down to Miami used as the "outside dogs" on the first visit with Marley and they can be seen running down the driveway as Jen and Owen drive up. This too is in the 2 minute trailer.

These same 12 dogs are also seen on the Purina website on the behind the scenes Meet Marley ,they can be seen playing ball, eating and even licking the camera (this was really funny cause the girl then proceeded to steal the cameraman's hat and he had to stop filming to get it back sure wish there had been a second camera LOL ) I brought dogs of all 3 colors that day so anything in the behind the scenes with more then just yellow dogs is our group.
here's a link that you can see all the trailers and the behind the scenes too

http://www.longliveyourdog.com/dogpark/overview/OfficialTrailer.aspx

The only scene I havent seen yet is of my Jack Russell I've seen brief clips of the obedience day but still havent spotted him yet.. I know a child had him on leash,he went with our trainer and friend from Animal Crackers we were supposed to work as an extra that day but delivered a beautiful litter of 7 instead
just for fun here's a link to Monty's latest work

http://www.ltdcommodities.com/home/catalog/cat_item_pg3.asp?P=15&G=13

Hope you enjoy the links and the information from someone who really was there....
Barbara

Re: Re: Re: Marley dogs & location

The trailer is wonderful and am looking forward to seeing the movie. How fun it must have been for you and your fur kids.