Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
coccidia?

what are the symptoms of coccidia? Thanks

Re: coccidia?

Most often you would see light colored, very smelly, loose or soft stool. Puppies with a severe load of coccidia my be weak, lethargic, gassy, with some abdominal bloating.

Re: Re: coccidia?

and their faces have a "pinched" look , they shrink before your very eyes. Hollow around the eye, loose body mass, and their skin "hangs" on them. Complete loss of bloom.

Re: Re: Re: coccidia?

Wow, I have never seen all that. Just the loose stools are enough in the South to set off the red flag. One of the things we are very careful to watch for and catch early. Newer treatments now also. Pups should not have to get weak.

Curious as to what you use for treatment. Knock on wood, I have not had a litter with it but when I aquired my first puppy a while back she contracted it and I was so new to the game I did not pay any attention what my holistic vet treated her with. Thanks in advance!

stools with mucus. It is something that stress can bring on. Not a huge deal if caught early. there are new meds - one for horses I think?

Re: Re: Re: coccidia?

To treat coccidia we use Liquid Albon on pups and Albon pills on the adults or mom. Normally a course for 8 days. We have had 2 litters with it over these past years and the smell of their poop is something you will not forget.

Re: Re: Re: Re: coccidia?

WE use a new product called Ponazuril. It is mixed down and measured out for canines. Easy to administer, and only need one or two days

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: coccidia?

I would love to her from some breeders that use the panazuril. I found out about the shelter using the horse dewormer called Marque. It is 200 bucks a tube (175mg) but you should mix it as you use it with three parts distilled water to one part paste. So as much as is sounds costly it is the only thing that will kill coccidia. So if that is a one or two day dose unlike Albon that is a 10 day, I would think it is cheaper in the long run. Has anyone used this?

Ponazuril is made by Beyer and goes by the name of Marquis. The cheapest that I've been able to find it is $200. I guess that would be worth it if you have multiple litters a year but if only one, most would be thrown away. Does anyone know if it keeps indefinitely? That would help if it could be used over a couple of years. Albon can keep coccidia under control until the pups outgrow their reaction to the creatures but it doesn't "cure" it. I've heard that Ponazuril is excellent for this problem.

I started using Ponazuril my last few litters.
Thanks to the info I got off this list a while back.

Amazing stuff, definitely worth the money.
I am purchasing liquid bacon flavor from a pharmacy.
2 oz / 60 cc cost $75 with free shipping.
you can get as much or little as you need, last 6 months in the fridge.
1 cc per 10 lbs two days does the trick and the pups love it, no fighting for 8-10 days.

*I am purchasing liquid bacon flavor from a pharmacy.
2 oz / 60 cc cost $75 with free shipping.
you can get as much or little as you need, last 6 months in the fridge.
1 cc per 10 lbs two days does the trick and the pups love it, no fighting for 8-10 days.*

So .... you purchase the generic ponazuril from a local pharmacy who mixes it up in the correct formula for canines? That would be great and a real cost saver compared to Marquis. Thanks for the information.

What Pharmacy are you getting it from?

Also here is what i got from Lambriar vet supply.

10 cc of Marq paste with 30 cc of distilled water. 1 cc per 4lbs. She said one tube would do 150 doses for a 10lb puppy. She said it would keep as a paste for years and you could mix it as you needed it.

So that was what I was trying to figure. If you are saying you get 60 doses for 75 that sounds pretty close.

Thank You!

Road Runner Pharmacy
out of Arizona
877-518-4589
comes in beef, chicken or bacon flavor
It is mixed for canine use.
Vet has to call in prescription, nice company to deal with.

just for info;
the vet who told me about the meds uses the tube paste, but he gives 1 cc of straight paste per pup for 2 days. He does not mix it with water.
He has been using it for years like that.

Coccidia is mucousy, sometimes yellowish, sometimes explosive diarrhea. The hallmark symptom is the smell - sick/sweet and overwhelming. I simply treat with Tylan, only until the symptoms go away. That usually takes maybe 24 hours. I use Tylan water (1/8 tsp per gallon) for drinking water, 1/8 tsp sprinkled on food for an average litter of 8 puppies under 8 weeks (adjusted accordingly), a small pinch in the food of an adult, or for a nursing puppy, I'll mix 1/4 tsp per gallon of water, then mix 2ccs of that with 1cc of karo syrup and feed like wormer from the syringe. I'll usually give Tylan drinking water to everyone and do the Tylan in the food only to those who are showing symptoms. Tylan is pretty benign for the dog and it just prevents the coccidia from multiplying so the dog can develop immunity. It also works on other intestinal bacteria overgrowths. I buy Tylan powder from KV Vet - it's labeled for poultry.