Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Microscopes

What stores carry microscopes and what power level is suggested for evaluating sperm?

Re: Microscopes

I can't really help you on that El but the joke about the use of Microscopes in our family is a hoot. I've never owned one but have been meaning to buy a used one. The last few breedings I took our girls to my repo vet for their AIs and one surgical implant. None of the AI's have worked but the surgical implant yeiled 3 pups. The joke is that my repo vet always looks at the semen under the microscope and tells me that yes it looks good or no, it looks bad. The only time I ever did an AI myself, without the use of a microscope, we got 10 puppies, only breeding her on 1 day. This was before I started having my repo vet do my AIs'. This time around I had 2 planned breedings to do in the same week so I decided to do the AIs myself...still no microscope, just a wing and a prayer they get pregnant !! Looks like both girls are going to have their litters and my faith in doing my own AIs has been restored. One of these years I will invest in a good microscope, however Here are my notes I saved from Wiscoy posters when this topic came up before : you want an excellent centrifuge I would recommend the LWS Ultra 8V Laboratory Centrifuge. It is a very nice piece of equipment. I would search online for the best deal as the price can vary from $299 to $375.

While some might think this is a bit pricey, you must consider why you are purchasing it. Having the right equipment for the job is necessary. As a stud dog owner you are providing a delicate service. Brood bitch owners pay a nice fee for a vile of sperm. It is our responsibility to give the little guys the best possible opportunity on their journey to stardom ;o)

As far as microscopes go, you can find a huge variety. We were fortunate enough to have a dear friend who was a doctor. She had stored her university lab microscope for years. When we mentioned, years ago, we were looking for a better scope than the kids model we had been using she offered to give her old one to us. I guess what I am getting at is try looking at the local med school websites or newspapers in that area. You may find a great deal for a very good microscope.
Michael
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I have a binocular microscope with a light source that works great for me- usually you'd want at least 40X objective for viewing motility, but most repro texts recommend 100X (oil immersion) for really being able to evaluate abnormalities like proximal droplets, curled tails, etc.

As far as centrifugation, the figures I've seen are 300-500g for 10 minutes as the ideal speed/time.

Here is a great link to an article on semen evaluation available through the LSU vet school:
http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/eiltslotus/Theriogenology-5361/semen anal._2.htm

Also, Ebay and Amazon.com have good deals on Microscopes.

repro vet = one who works with reproduction issues
repo vet = one who reposesses your bitch

Re: Re: Microscopes

hahahaha AM I Bad

Re: Re: Re: Microscopes

Thank you Joy!