Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Airline restrictions...

I have a pup scheduled to fly out with its owner in cabin. The pup is huge and by 8 weeks I know he will be beyond the size that will fit in a carrier that meets their restrictions.
Has anyone gotten past these restrictions? Airline bags by Sherpa all say they are fit for airlines and I know I can get the pup into one of them.
Or am I going to end up shipping this tubby-bub cargo? It will only be a 2 hour flight.

Re: Airline restrictions...

I brought a big 8 week old home on two flights, one a short hop and one a cross country flight a few months ago, no airline or airport personal ever checked him for size, weight or health certificates or anything. The only requests in flight were to keep him "in" the carrier (but it was OK to have all the flaps open and the pup half sprawled on my lap most of the way), and he had to be secured in the carrier & under the seat on takeoffs and landings. I would never put a little guy that age in the cargo compartment, even for 2 hours...

He will be pushing 20lbs when he flies. I don't think he will fit under the seat.

If he won't fit under the seat, the plane won't take off. I don't have a problem with a puppy in a crate in cargo - easier, smoother, and shorter than a car ride!

If you can get him in the Sherpa bag (comfortably), it will fit under the seat. It's much easier to get it under there if you have an aisle seat.

Re: Re: Airline restrictions...

Make sure you check the restrictions on temperature if he ships cargo. If it's going to be extreme, the vet has to write a note in regards to acclimation, (how cold to how hot). If it's too cold, they won't ship him anyway. It usually depends on the tarmac temp. at the departure and arrival airports and any stops in between.

My girlfriend brought her 8 week old Mastiff puppy home in one of those bags. She put it under the seat and then put the puppy in it - with the head sticking out! The airline personnel didn't say a word. I used the same bag to bring my pup home - she was 15 pounds but after take off I put the bag on the empty seat next to me and unzipped it a bit. As long as she was mostly in the bag nobody said anything.