Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dog Cookies

Anyone have a tried & true recipe for cookie-cutter dog cookies?? (For dogs, not people!) Thanks!

Re: Dog Cookies

The first thing to remember is that dogs eat poop. When you start to worry that you might make a mistake just remember all the posts on this forum from people dealing with poop eating dogs, so relax. Your dog will be happy with most anything you concoct. When I make dog cookies I pull out my big stand mixer and start adding this and that from my cabinets and fridge. I usually use oats and whole wheat flour as a base to which I add things such as brewers yeast, minced garlic, diced carrots, peanut butter, safflower or olive oil, an egg or two and just enough water to form a stiff dough. I then turn the dough out onto a floured surface, spread it about ¼ thick, and cut the dough into people shapes with gingerbread boy and girl cookie cutters. I also use my dog bone cookie cutter for people cookies, variety is good! I then place the cookies on a lightly floured cookie sheet and bake them at 300 degrees until they are dry. If I want the cookies to be really dry and crispy I will bake them at 200 for a couple of hours. Over the years I have made many kinds of cookies. I’ve made tuna fish cookies when I had a can of tuna fish on the shelf. I’ve made cinnamon cookies, and chopped chicken cookies. If I have leftovers in the fridge in they go! I often have brown rice and yogurt in the fridge and I just dump it into whatever I mixing up. Have fun with it! Remember, dogs eat poop!

OMG Darcy!! I love that philosophy!

Too funny!! And mine DOES eat poop! Although, I plan on making these for OTHER dogs! But seriously, thanks for the input - I appreciate it!