Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
would like specific tips

I have had families over the years who've taken home a puppy only to realize they've forgotten how much work and trouble is involved in raising a pup. Most of these folks have lost an older lab. All good people fully screened and taking their pup to obedience classes. But I'd love to have more I can offer in the way of advice. I send them home with a training book and specific tips such as these.
Raw bones and frozen washcloths for chewing
Outside play time and walks--not too long
Empty milk containers-label and top ring removed for play
---please add anything you offer as advice--

Re: would like specific tips

Just a warning - I wouldn't give a frozen washcloth. (Tennie the Terrible Towel eater cost me $1700 and she almost died after eating a torn piece of towel at 8 months.)

Thanks Nancy!

I used to give them all my empty boxes: packing, cereal (no bags), paper, etc. and let them rip the boxes to shreds. House is a bit interesting looking but great exercise for the puppy.
Just be careful not to leave a box around with something in it you want

Re: Re: would like specific tips

I would avoid rawhide after pulling a huge gooey stretched one out of the throat of a doberman years ago. I had a golden pup that loved the hard rock maple rolling pin I gave her (no splinters). With a lab, I would avoid anything that could possibly be swallowed. I do like the big black heavy duty nylabones, and the ones where you can insert a treat are pretty distracting for a puppy. Frequent exercise seems better than one long event. In the summer a plastic tub of water or a toddler swimming pool is great fun. Also those "indestructible" balls that you put water inside to make them wobble will keep a pup busy in the yard - I love those.

Re: Re: Re: would like specific tips

We've had success with the 12" retriever rolls (rawhide) for the younger chewers.

Ice cubes - use them as a reward. The chewing and play with the slippery ice helps them burn energy. I slide them across the floor and watch the puppy scamper after it. Caution, everytime you go to get ice for yourself your puppy will come out from no where for a piece too. Also, we do frozen water bottles and empty plastic water bottles outside on the concrete. They like the noise and they take on a life of their own when the puppy chases them around. I also like the original Nylabone, but only when I am around. Now is not really the season, but supervised play in a baby pool is fun for them and fun to watch as well. Food stuffed femur bones are great for feeding, and kongs as well. I put the stuffed objects in the bowl and let her figure out how to get to them. Cottage cheese, peanut butter, liverwurst, cream cheese all make good toppers for the kibble inside.

Re: Re: would like specific tips

I use empty individual sized water bottles, cap, label and ring off, of course. They love to roll them along and I find they play for hours with them.

Re: Re: Re: would like specific tips

We also do the empty box trick. It keeps them and their mouths busy for quite a while!