Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shuffling feet

My MH girl is going to be 14 in February. She is still very active and in great shape. Not on any meds.

she has started shuffling her back feet--not dragging her toes, but shuffling the soles of her feet on the floor. It is like she has slippers on that are too big for her! She doesn't do this at a trot or a run, just at a walk.

I have watched her in fresh snow to make sure she isn't dragging her toes, and there are no drag marks. There are no signs of pain.

Taking her in to the doc in a few days, but was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

Thanks.

MK

Re: Shuffling feet

Wondering if it could be the onset of arthritis and shuffling is easier for her.

Have you tried the neurological test on her of flipping her back feet over and seeing if she corrects herself?

Hoping it is bothing serious.

Re: Re: Shuffling feet

No neurologial issues, no pain if you crank her knees or hocks around. No hip issues.

When I first talked to my doc, he thought that perhaps the ligaments have stretched so that the knee joint isn't as tight as it used to be. There is no luxation of the patellas either.

We will see if he can find anything on examination...or if we chalk it up to being an "old lady."

MK

Re: Re: Re: Shuffling feet

She might have a bit of arthritis in her spine...this can affect rear end coordination.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Shuffling feet

Might check her thyroid level.. Hypothyroidism can cause similar symptoms..

I'd be interested in knowing what your vet says. I have a 14 year old boy who does the same thing. My vet says osteoarthritis and, as Patty said, it is just easier for him to shuffle instead of pick his legs up all of the way.

Good luck with your girl!

Johanne

I too will be interested in what you find out. I have a girl that shuffles or drags her paws. They do not flip over, she simply drags her paws. She is only 4 years old.

Re: Re: Shuffling feet

I have a 14 yo that has the same issues, but she has been diagnosed as degenerative myelopathy (scarring and degeneration of the outer covering of nerve fibers that transmit nerve impulses)...not much to do about it, maintenance...allow them time to get up and moving.No pain involved, actually the opposite, they aren't getting the nerve messages. Mine is on Rimadyl(for her hips), joint supplements, and monitoring. Her appetite is excellent, she's happy, she's elderly.The hip problems are not related to the myelopathy.