Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Soft coat

Is there anything I can do for a soft coat? Just looking at her coat, it gives the appearance of depth with a slight wave. It is beautiful. Touch it - it feels wonderful. Maybe a little bit too wonderful. It is not the harsh coat described in the standard. Is there any kind of treatment that will do anything to improve this?

Re: Soft coat

How old is your girl? How often is she washed?

If she is a puppy and as of yet does not have her 'adult' coat in you may be feeling her 'puppy coat.'

If she is washed, or sent to the groomers often the result is generally a 'soft' coat.

Is she yellow? Most yellows have soft coats.

My yellows don't - never have. Maybe the lines?

The coarse guard hair should be there from an early age. Some yellows have an abundance of undercoat and either a short or less abundant outer coat, so it feels almost plush. Bear has this - he's the most waterproof dog I have because of the dense undercoat, but it's not a correct coat because he doesn't have the coarse outer layer.

Re: Re: Soft coat

Yes, she is yellow and she is 7 months old. She has never had a bath. Just lots of rain water.

Re: Re: Re: Soft coat

Try a rinse of white vinegar. You can dilute with a little water, but not more that half and half. That is what I use before a show as it cleans but doesn't soften the coat.
Traci

Traci, that must be why I always got hungry for a salad when I was behind you in the ring!!!

I had no idea Greg!

Does the vinegar dry out the skin?

Never has with mine. I would think if you did it frequently it might do that though.
Traci

Probably a stupid question but do you rinse off the vinegar "rinse"?

No, I don't rinse it off.
Traci