Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
puppy bleeding out of nose....we're snowed in, can't get to vet

I woke up to find a pup with blood on tip of nose this morning, and breathing out of mouth, kind of gasping, as if she aspirated a cedar shaving and it lodged in her nose. She can only breath through mouth. She is quite distressed, and so am I, I've never had this happen before after about 10 years of using pine shavings. But maybe this is a first.

the blood I assume means something is lodged?
We are snowed in and can't get to a vet so I need some help here, anyone have any ideas for getting it out?
This poor thing...

I'm calling the vet when they open this morning. But they may not be able to even get into the office. We are in PA and are really getting pounded with snow.

Re: puppy bleeding out of nose....we're snowed in, can't get to vet

Call someone who has a snow plow and tell them you have an emergency and you need to get out of your drive ASAP.

How old is the puppy? can you see anything if you look with a flashlight?

just thinking of you

something like that happened to one of my pups, she was only 4 weeks old and for some freak accident ended up cutting her mouth and palate with a piece of glass, at first thought that her mom bit her for some wired reason, this was at 3 am. So first of all calm down and try to figure what is really happening, maybe she just has a cut, or maybe something stuck on her palate, clean very well her mouth and nose and try to see. I started amoxi drops that same night, and next day took her to the vet to see if they could see something else, everything was clear and clean and recommended to continue with the amoxi drops. If you need more info, please write me and email and change cedar shavings to pine, puppies can get some allergy and love to chew on the cedar shavings, they careless about pine,

Update us please, hope all is okay.

Re: Re: puppy bleeding out of nose....we're snowed in, can't get to vet

They moved the answer to that in an above post about wood shavings. From what I read sounds like the puppy will be just fine.