Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I can't seem to find what wood shavings most people use when I search prior threads on this forum...

I searched to see if I could find prior threads about what wood shavings are safe for puppy boxes. My company I buy wood shavings from has gotten "dusty" plus I'm the one whose pup aspirated the wood chip this morning and she is at Cornell right now. $$$$ UGG

At what age do most of you transition the pups into the wood shavings?

Any other liners for boxes you use earlier (like from 2-4 weeks old?)

thanks!

Re: I can't seem to find what wood shavings most people use when I search prior threads on this foru

I started off with Equine Fresh Pellets, but lo and behold a couple of the pups started eating them, SO, I switched to this brand at Tractor Supply -- the shavings are not as small nor were they as dusty :)
Hope that helps.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_48767_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

Re: Re: I can't seem to find what wood shavings most people use when I search prior threads on this

The ones I use are Devil's Tower brand that I get at my feed store (where I buy all my ProPlan). Not dusty, pine, so it helps with odors. Never seen a pup eat any, but there is always that possiblity.

I only use it with winter litters that can't go out into a run.

MK

Re: I can't seem to find what wood shavings most people use when I search prior threads on this foru

I give them a potty area with shavings when they are 4 weeks. No shavings younger than that. And, shavings only in the potty area. It trains them, and they do not sleep in the shavings.

Forgot to add. Please keep us updated on your pup. How old is he?

Re: Re: I can't seem to find what wood shavings most people use when I search prior threads on this

I use shredded newspaper and find it very effecient. Sometimes you can buy it baled, but since I'm out in the boonies, I bought a GOOD shredder and do my own. The pups like to play in them and, they keep the smell down and are non toxic.

Re: Re: Re: I can't seem to find what wood shavings most people use when I search prior threads on t

I forgot to say to put a couple layers of paper down first. That way you just roll it up in a bundle, when you have to change the bedding.

update on pup

Update on pup...Cornell said it was trauma, no chip found. Apparently momma maybe snapped at him. Some puppy food had been left in the puppy box when momma got in to feed, and I think she was eating it, pup came along, and she snarled and snapped.

Usually we always take the food out when momma goes in to feed when she gets to this 4 week point. My husband put her in late last night and forgot to take the food out.

Anyway, pup will be fine...only a small ulcerated area in nasal passage. Was sent home with some soft Science Diet food, that is all (???)

Re: update on pup

I will NEVER use anything but the pine pellets again.
It was a joy compared to paper:)
Lots of scooping, but at 6$ for a 40 pound bag its no biggie.
Refresh with a few cups of new stuff after each scooping and it is very pleasant:)
Good luck.
Oh, and yes, tractor supply for me too.
Annie