General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crufts 2009 goes on without the BBC

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/2187

Re: Crufts 2009 goes on without the BBC

Anki,
What breeds were to be excluded and why? How is the BBC calling the "shots" on this.....obviously, I don't understand! My apologies, but my international knowledge regarding dog show issues is somewhat lacking.
Thanks for clarification
Lisa M

Thank you for heads up from Sweden.

I read the article and the long term ramifications are very wide and deep.

It may appear that just "no offering of television service" for the event is nothing major. Then you read more and understand that this is all about the forcing radical and complete changes of Standards to improve the health of dogs. This relates to the conformation of many flat-faced breeds, structural change on others, and some dogs just being banned altogether.

I will be at Crufts this year with friends showing in the Gundog Group. I am anticipating some quite lively discussions over fish and chips that week!

If you will be at Crufts, I would love to have a tea and discuss how all this will affect the world of purebred dogs.

It should prove to be interesting.

Too bad!

I don't think this is "too bad". It's for the health of the dogs. Some breeders euthanize healthy pet puppies just because they may lack a "ridge" of fur on their backs that defines that particular breed. This is just one example.