Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re Injuring a surgically fixed Torn Cruciate

Bringing the topic of Torn Cruciates up to the top for another question I have wondered about. When a dog has surgery for an unjured cruciate, how often or can they blow out that same knee again ? This is assuming the vet did a good job and that the owners followed post therapy directions to the tee. I know they can blow the other knee out once their first knee goes.

Re: Re Injuring a surgically fixed Torn Cruciate

It depends on what type of repair was done. A TPLO changes the angle of the joint such that the ligament isn't necessary for stability, so there is nothing to break. Same goes for the TTA procedure. A traditional repair replaces the torn ligament with a synthetic line of some sort, so there is something that could and does break, especially if the knee hasn't built up scar tissue to stabilize the joint.

Re: Re: Re Injuring a surgically fixed Torn Cruciate

The synthetic fabric does break. By the time it does, the dog should have built up enough medial buttressing that the nylon is no longer necessary anyway.

Re: Re: Re: Re Injuring a surgically fixed Torn Cruciate

Over 20 years ago, I had a girl tear both cruciates at 10 months and 16 months. She was treated by using a piece of her own connective tissue to stabilize the knee until enough scar tissue formed. She went on to earn a JH and a CDX before the jump heights were lowered. She lived to be 14. In her old age her hind legs were weak because she injured her spine (clearly seen in X-rays) and had lost alot of sensation in her rear, but the knees did not seem to be part of the problem. She did have some trouble jumping 32 inches, though. I don't think she could have made it over 34. BTW, none of her kids and gradkids, a number of whom I kept in contact with until they died at age 12-14, tore a cruciate.