Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best Labrador Rescue Contact Near Syracuse

An acquaintance has a 7 year old female purebred Labrador that she needs to give up due to losing her job and upcoming major surgery, and the dog also needs veterinary attention for ear infections and an ear hematoma. She's going to pull out the papers and give me the breeder's name, but I suspect given the registered name (which does not include a kennel name) that it is a backyard or pet store dog. That's all I know right now and I have not met the dog but I know she gets along with cats and other dogs.

I need a good rescue contact in the Northeast (or for that matter anywhere) that would be able to help me get her taken care of and placed.

Thanks in advance on behalf of this girl!

Re: Best Labrador Rescue Contact Near Syracuse

Nancy, did you find some contact info for your friend??? Has she also talked to family/friends about taking this dog???

I did explore her other options with her before I posted here. No - she's single and has no family in the region. She has been trying to find a home for the girl for about a month now since she (the owner) injured her back. (She doesn't get sick time and disability hasn't kicked in yet.) She realized that I was a breeder and reached out to me hoping I would be able to connect her with a rescue group. Since the dog has medical needs now and the owner is getting pretty desperate, I think it's now urgent that the dog gets into rescue before she is put into a shelter where she would be euthanized for a relatively benign health problem. I have been given information on one active rescue group but would be happy to get as many contacts as possible.

http://www.rudysrescue.org/
This is a Labrador rescue located in Rochester, NY
Hope this is of some help

Nancy, here's some contacts to try:

http://www.thelabradorclub.com/subpages/rescue_search_result.php

FYI many rescues aren't taking in new dogs over the holidays so don't be surprised if you find that's the case here.