Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Replacement dog

If someone purchased a dog from you years ago and it ended up with bad hips. Now over the years you have offered a new pup from two or three litters. Now the dog has passed and you offered one last time. (This is a great home and close by.) Don't you think I can just say no more and feel okay to let it go.

Re: Replacement dog

Huh???What??? Try again. Have no idea what you are asking.

Re: Re: Replacement dog

Replacement pup because the one you sold them had bad hips ? You are trying to do right and be fair and offer a nice family another pup. They are never ready for one. But you hate not to offer since you know them. When do you stop offering ? Is that any better

I think I understand. I would just tell them, "OK, when you are ready for another dog, I can't guarantee I'll have one available but please let me know and I'll do my best." Then forget about it.

Re: Re: Re: Replacement dog

I would offer it once. If refused, that would be the end of it on my part.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Replacement dog

I should reword that. I MIGHT offer it once. Depends on so many circumstances. I may not want them to have another of my pups. I may refund some money instead.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Replacement dog

One other thought- They may not want another pup from you, since the first one they got from you was dysplastic. I am not putting blame on you for that, but perhaps they are, and don't want another pup from your lines. have you offered them money?

I had a dog with horrible hips, amongst other things. I refused puppies from several litters because why on earth would I want to have another from that bloodline?

Maybe the owners have gone another route.

That is something I have not had to deal with yet, but after reading all the things so many of you have gone through, I chose to not have a replacement pup an option but instead only refunds. Too many reasons that you might not want a pup going to someone who you have had any issue with and who wants someone taking a pup because they feel they should in order to "get their monies worth". If you are really torn up over not meeting your obligation to them, you could always offer a refund and then if they come back to you for another pup as a paying customer you know they are doing it because they WANT one of your pups:)
At the same time, I wouldnt think you are under any obligation to refund if that was not agreement....only a suggestion for you if this is really bothering you and you want to end it once and for all.
Best of wishes!
Annie

I have to laugh, at all those high and mighty younger ones who, oh my, a dog with bad hips, don't go there. All I have to say is, "your time will come". Stay in it long enough and you will have things. I have no contract, but I am a good person and felt like I would offer a couple of times. The dog with bad hips was fine and lived to be 13 years. They were in love with her and just not ready for a pup, they just lost her. Thanks to the real breeders that know where am coming from.

If I feel a replacement is warranted, I leave it open-ended. The family may never want another from me or can only focus on one dog at a time and want to wait until their dog passes, etc. I have replaced one 15 years after the first offer - the family was not ready until then. By waiting,THEY risk that I will no longer be breeding dogs at that time or that I will not have something suitable. That was their choice.

Nothing high and mighty about it, and trust me, I am not a young one. This was not my first dog from that line, with moderate dysplasia. Its expensive, its heartbreaking and its a very personal emotional decision about 'replacing' such a dog.

Sometimes its just too hard to go the same route again. You are offering the intellectual response that would make you feel better ie. give them another dog. They are probably acting on an emotional response.

No offence intended, just look at it from the other side of the glass.

All I see is one person that sounded even vaguely like what you commented in this post. Who are "all those high and mighty younger ones"? i dunno is the only one that sounded a bit like it was the fault of your lines. Why take it out on the others that made an effort to try to figure out what the heck you were talking about in you oddly worded original post?

Leave it open-ended, but you don't need to keep offering. They know where you live if they want to take you up on it.

Just thought how the breeder at 9:26 put it was a little off. Am trying to do the right thing that happens to all of us one time or another. Didn't need to hear that I have bad dogs. That hurt.

This one?

"One other thought- They may not want another pup from you, since the first one they got from you was dysplastic. I am not putting blame on you for that, but perhaps they are, and don't want another pup from your lines. have you offered them money?"

This one clearly says that the blame is not on you. No where does it knock your dogs. Read more closely before you make nasty comments about people.

I had a similar situation, however it was not bad hips and the vet said the condition was probably not even hereditary.(they didn't want to investigate and it was a first time occurence for me) The most important thing to me was I KNEW the family loved her, and I appreciated the care and love given to my puppy over the past several years. They called to tell me that she had passed and thanked me for her, which I said It was I who thanked them for the care and love they had given her. To me that means more than any bottom dollar, I gave them the open end option of a replacement pup when they were ready. They came back to me for another pup which I gladly placed in thier arms, and as of probably this minute she is being spoiled rotten! If it were me, I would just be there when they are ready, if they are ever ready. Regardless, I think that letting them know you are there if they need you probably means the world to them.

Thank you Tina, will just leave it open for them to approach me. The husband is the one not ready. He really loved the one they lost.

I'm not offering a replacement pup, because I don't breed enough to reliably have a replacement to offer. Also because I don't believe that most families would choose replacement; therefore that's not a policy that would work for me. Instead, I offer half the purchase price back if the issue is discovered prior to the puppy's first birthday, so the family has at least a little money with which to treat the pup.

A friend ended up with a dysplastic dog (different breed) and the breeder pretty much shrugged and said oh well, these things happen, here's some information for you. My friend would never have returned the dog, but could have used some money to help her treat it.

Like Tina and Nancy I also leave it open to them, to let me know when they are ready.