Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Favorite Judge

I would like to now ho is your favorite judge,that you love to show your dogs to.

Thanks for the input!

Re: Favorite Judge

All of them that have given my dogs points!

Re: Re: Favorite Judge

I second that! Really how many are going to like the Judge that does not use their dogs? Not exactly human nature.

Me!!! My dogs always win when I judge them. OK, not really, the ones that don't win get placed in great family homes!

Happy Holidays!!!

Best,
Michael

My favorite all-breed judges are:
Virginia Lyne
Thora Brown
James Reynolds
My favorite breeder judges are:
Michael Woods
Mary Wiest
Marion Lyons
Winnie Limborne
I have not won under all of them but respect what they do and how they run their rings.

my favorite judge?
well,...........
Here goes..........

The one who really KNOWS the breed.
The one who knows how to TREAT all the people on the ring.
The one who looks THE DOG ,not the handler
The one who really cares about temperament, tails, expression, type, and the "hole" dog.
The one who really knows the STANDARD.
The one who does not mind or care if people are going to agree with him, or not.
The one who really LOVES THE BREED !!!

Just in case..........

Do we really have a judge like this???
eehehehehehehehe

Merry Christmas and Happy New JUDGEMENT !!

Re: Re: Re: Favorite Judge

I loved Micheal Silva in Boston at an AB show. He is sexy and very entertaining in the ring.Loved him also with his Big Win in Potomac last year.

I like that really old judge that has been around so long that he/she doesn't give a hoot what anyone else thinks.

The old timers can be a problem because they have been around a long time and know too many people. Watch how some of them react to the BIG handlers.
I had to laugh when I read the comment about wanting a Judge that would look at the dog not the Handler.
Then why send your dogs out with the top Lab handlers?
Send them with the no-names. Then you will truly know what you have in your kennels. Just my opinion,
I respect yours.

First of all, it's a given.... I want them to know the breed. That said.....I like a judge who acts like he or she is HAPPY to be there and judge your entry. They need to portray that they still enjoy the sport.

I love a judge who is personable, takes time to smile, chit-chat (if time allows), points out in a nice way things they like or dislike about my dog, cracks a joke if appropriate, works the ringside crowd, can laugh at themselves if they goof up. Love it when they talk to the dog, again, when appropriate. Dog showing should be fun, for me it is. I love any judge who sends me away smiling - win or lose.

That's why I love the specialties. Because honestly, specialty judges for me, have been for the most part, exactly what I described above. Haven't really been disappointed at a specialty.

As for all-breeds, I showed under Edd Bivin a few years ago at an all-breed in Utah and he was very nice, polite and professional. He pulled me aside after giving my dog reserve and said - "you know he has a tish too much leg, but I love to hunt with a big ol' guy like this!!! He took my dogs head in his hands again and patted him and called him a "big ol'lug." He was spot on - and I left the ring dumped and smiling.

And recently under another all-rounder I took in a 9 -12 puppy bitch for her very first show, she went all the way to RWB and pushed the WB for the points. The judge was very kind and gentle with all the puppies. When I accepted my ribbon the judge said - "lovely youngster but I'd like to see a better headpiece on her." ME TOO! I sighed - we both laughed.

I detest judges who are curt or rude to their stewards or exhibitors. I actually have a judge who I have black-balled. I will NEVER show to him again because of the way he treated his sweet, little, old "pinch-hitting" grandpa steward. The assigned ring steward didn't show up and this sweet little old guy (the husband of one of the club members) offered to help the best he could. Well Mr. Big-Pants Judge belittled and berated him at every opportunity - you should have seen the stewards face. It was simply aweful and broke my heart.

Just some of thoughts....
Bibsmom - Valerie

Margaret Brown is simply the best!