Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
how much does surgery for blockage cost?

I know it depends on the area of the country and the individual case. My daughter's Lab she got from me just went through this. I don't want to ask her. Her girl is home safe and sound now.

Re: how much does surgery for blockage cost?

Depends on the area and whether it's during regular hours or after hours. I would say between $800-$1500 in the eastern VA area.

Re: Re: how much does surgery for blockage cost?

I paid $1,400 a couple of years ago in the SW.

We had a thirteen year old eat a piece of one of those bully sticks (they belonged to the little pups to chew on - but she got one) and she got very sick. Cost $5000. by the time we were through. She was in the hospital for maybe 4 or 5 days.

Tennie cost me $1700 total. That included several x-rays, hospitalization for a few days, surgery and meds.

What are the symptoms for the dog if they really do have a blockage and need surgery ? Is it much like a dog who has bloat ?

Re: Re: Re: how much does surgery for blockage cost?

I wonder why some dogs can pass the objects they eat and other dogs need surgery ? We had a Labrador who used to love to eat our heavy wool socks. We lived on constant fear she would need to have expensive surgery to remove them but she would always poop them out in the yard, whole. These were the heavy real wool that the old timers use when they knit socks.

You need to take the dog to the vet if you even suspect blockage. The dog can get very sick very fast and time is of the essence.

Triad region of NC $1500.00. This was a very complicated case though.

I've had dogs experience both bloat and blockage. This is what we experienced.

To the first question re: cost:
$1,000 in upstate NY in July to remove a ball from a stomach.

To the second question re: symptoms:
Blockage could be vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, depending on the location of the blockage.

Bloat could be attempts to vomit, dog is in severe pain and very stressed.

There are probably other symptoms, but these are what we experienced.

Any of these symptoms need to be evaluated by a vet immediately. Blockage and bloat are emergency situations.

We had a female with blocked bowels in 4 places, surgery cost a little over $500 here in West Central OH. It was scary to say the least but she recovered fast and is fine now.

We had one that ate part of a garden hose. Of course, it was a weekend so we ended up in the emergency hospital. Part of his intestine was removed and he spent a week in the hospital. The cost was almost $6,000.00.

Re: Re: Re: how much does surgery for blockage cost?

Years ago I had a lab with one that cost about $1500, then a few weeks later, same dog, about $1000. The second time I recognized the symptoms earlier so there was less expense for stuff like labratory testing and all those waiting around to see kinds of things. She was not is as bad a way the second time around since I caught it earlier. Or maybe they gave me a discount since tehy had washed and displayed my husband's sock that had been stuck in the dog's guts.

Yes, if you even suspect it, be very careful as the kidneys can shut down, etc. in a very brief matter of time.