Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is Aleve safe for dogs??

Is Aleve safe for canines? If it is a Nasiad like Duramaxx, what is the difference?

Re: Is Aleve safe for dogs??

I don't think so. Aleve is the OTC form of Naproxin. My understanding is(in laymen terms) Naproxin is basically a stronger form of ibuprofin.

Re: Re: Is Aleve safe for dogs??

So ibuprofin isn't safe for dogs ?

Not according to this:

http://www.pocoapocopoodles.com/dog_poison.html

pretty much everything out there that we would take is bad to give to your dogs. you can put your dogs in kidney failure and liver failure easily. i wouldn't give anything like that without asking my vet first.
adam

No it is toxic.

Re: Re: Re: Is Aleve safe for dogs??

NO.My neighbor used ibuprofen for her golden retriever after a friend told her it was ok, it shut the dogs kidneys down and a few other things, killed the dog slowly in a week.

Although there are many OTC human medications that can be used for dogs it's always best to check with you Vet first. As the saying goes "First Do No Harm". Most Vets are willing to give appropriate dosages for OTC safe medications if the patient has been recently seen by the Vet. I can't tell you how many times we get a call from a client at the Clinic saying "I gave my dogs some Advil for pain is that OK?" or "I asked my neighbor if it's OK to give Alieve and they said yes so I gave it and now my dogs is REALLY sick" Please call a vet first. If you can't reach your Vet then don't give anything. Once you give something you can't take it back.

University of Florida Vet Clinic states only buffered aspirin is safe for dogs and cats, nothing else.

I was given a sheet with people meds listed for dogs with dosages, if anyone would like a copy email me.

I think Naproxen is a COx-2 inhibitor NSAID. It is probably too strong for dogs. There are increased FDA warning on the packaging for people. I would not give it to a dog. Deramaxx and Metacam are the same type drugs but were tested and marketed for veterinary use. And we all know how problems can develop from those drugs as well as Rimadyl. Metacam does have a human version called Mobic. Since Vioxx was removed from the market These drugs are not prescribed as much.