Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Betterment of the breed

I received a link to The Horse online magazine that told about the recent development in a nasty disease that primarily affects Arabian horses.

http://www.arabianhorses.org/education/genetic/docs/CA_Horse_Genome_Project.pdf

It seems that the Arabian people are embracing a DNA marker test for the disease and despite the potential loss of breeding income they are sharing the results in order to better the breed.

A single stud fee on this horse (article below) would likely exceed the lifetime earnings from one of our top stud dogs. Isn't it refreshing to see a test embraced instead of questioned and avoided?

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=13273

Re: Betterment of the breed

That is one of the most exquisite animals I've ever seen.

Don't forget that these breeders of the Arabian Horse have never had to worry about their next paycheck. Many of these horses are imported from Egypt and Poland, arriving on private jets. Losing one at stud is not total devastation as it may be to a dog person that has a handful of dogs.

Absolutely, "well", but it's all relative.

To many of us the purchase price of a good Labrador seems like the earth.

And why does that make our Labrador breed any less important to protect than the Arabian breed?

Since our dogs can produce more often and larger sized litters than a horse we should be more concerned with taking care of all available testing, not saying they aren't "perfect" and turning away from them.

Did you start the same thread Mary Mary?

Omg. Marajj is Stunning!

What thread "Mary Mary"?

Oh, I see. I hadn't read it because the subject line didn't catch my eye.

Twas not me.

Are you kidding?? Are you aware of the unwanted horse issue in the U.S? They should halt breeding horses altogether. If a horse doesn't make it in the show ring, there aren't many places for it to go except for meat in Mexico. At least ethical dog breeders will place their dogs in a good home.

Have you been in Mexico?, do you know that for a fact?, or you just talk like that about a country that you don't even know where it is because you haven't been outside your ranch in your life!

Re: Re: Betterment of the breed

FYI, I've been to Mexico several times and I love the country. I didn't mean to say anything derogatory about it. It's a well known fact that horses are sent there for slaughter. Much of the meat is sent to Europe for human consumption. If you don't believe me, get your head out of the sand and look it up!

I don't think I've ever seen such a sweep of neck on a colt before - breathtaking!! And his movement on youtube: elegance incarnate!!

Take a look at this young mare! She is a product of my good friend and backacre neighbor, Bob Burton of Hacienda Arabians. A small breeder of quality arabians. Forbidden Love was a stunning filly....even as a gangling foal. I saw her at 2 days old, she was gorgeous then. Sylowet, her dam is still with Bob and has produced other beauties....but FL was extraordinary. Sound familiar anyone? Small breeder, careful, selective, strive for the best?
Beautiful mare.

http://www.ariaarabians.com/arabian_mares/horses/forbidden-love.htm

Bob and I often discuss the latest testing, comparing Labs to Arabs....we're very much alike in our goals, the heritable diseases are not the same, but our goals are....reduce incidence, eliminate if possible.

Enjoy the photos. Forbidden Love was a handful as a baby and I don't think that's changed.
take care and Merry Christmas

To No Thanks- Are you suggesting a breeding ban? If you're willing to apply it to horses, are you suggesting the same for dogs? How unfortunate- most of the large equine organizations are doing everything in their power to deal with unwanted horses and until the Slaughter bill was passed there was a place for these animals to go. You may not like it, but it was a way for individuals no longer able to care for their animals a way out. Now, they're being turned loose in Parks, Wildlife areas, etc. as it is too expensive to euthanize and bury them, so instead they're left to starve... doesn't seem like such a good thing. Be careful about making such broad statements- the world is quite gray; not so black and white. There are plenty of horses that are not shown that are loved dearly, just as with our dogs that don't show. Dog breeding bans only punish responsible individuals. The folks who own the dogs running at large creating mixed breed animals create the majority of euthanized pets at shelters. Those owners will not be affected by this.

I won't comment on the horse slaughter other than that I was and AM very opposed to it.

As for the comment on shelter dogs, I believe you are right.
BUT, all your HSUS and PETA types will tout that there are SO MANY Labradors in shelters and that we shouldn't be breeding them...
I think they really do believe this but it's because they fail to see the 'big picture'.
I see it this way -
If you go to any shelter or HS website, you WILL see the majority of their dogs labeled as "Labradors", yes...true.
However, they are not Labradors most of the time. They are mixes of who knows what, that shelter employees have stuck a Labrador label on for for 2 reasons...
#1 - they have no clue what a Labrador looks like
#2 - if they label it a Lab, people will be more likely to adopt it thinkng that it's got a good temperament.
Now this really screws up statistics.
When polls are done and percentages are observed, OF COURSE Labradors come up as the majority or shelter dogs!!!
Duh...
But then PETA and HSUS people are very one sided in their thinking and you can't tell them a thing because they won't listen!

To Annon Breeder- Have you ever owned a horse that you couldn't sell, couldn't give away and couldn't afford to feed? It happens, and in this economy sometimes through no fault of the owner. Before, when the slaughterhouses were open, there was a viable option for these animals. I will state that I do believe improvement in the treatment of these animals in transport, etc. could be improved, but to be against something that helped those who had no where else to turn is discouraging. Horse rescue groups are overwhelmed and are full to the gills. So now, instead of a horse suffering injustices for a bried period before being euthanized, now they suffer indefinitely and possibly starve to death?? I am involved with equine rescue groups, and I assure you, it is something that we are seeing more and more of.

To Too Scary - No, I haven't because I stay within my means and only own animals I can be responsible for, no matter what.
Euthanasia for a horse is NOT that expensive!!
If someone can't spare the $150 it costs to put a horse down the way it should be done, they should have never gotten a horse in the first place.
Your "solution" of slaughter only provides an easy out for the dead beats who don't care anyway!

Just like the laws PETA wants, they effect both types of breeders, good and bad.
If you want a solution, consider lower cost euthanasia for those who claim they can't step up for their animals when they need it!
I have seen far too many who will send their horses to the meat man just to make a buck! NOT because they can't afford to euthanize it.

Re: Re: Re: Betterment of the breed

There are organizations offering low cost euthanasia for $25 to deal with the crisis. While, in our neck of the woods, the average euthanasia fee for a horse is $200. People adopt or purchase horses totally ignorant about the costs to feed, house and provide veterinary care. It's also mentally exhausting on the veterinary community that have to deal with killing all the starving, unwanted horses. It doesn't stop the idiots either who think "well it has a uterus, so let's breed it." We have to figure out another alternative where people have to take responsibility for their actions.

To Anon again- Obviously you've never had to put a horse down, as the cost is not $150- the last one I put down was over $300 just for the euthanasia, (not including the meds to try and save them) plus then there was a $600 fee for the backhoe to bury him. Many folks don't have that kind of money available in those situations and we were lucky in that we could bury him on our property- in many places you have to pay more for disposal. Quit assuming that just because you can't afford something you once could makes you "irresponsible". However, at 42 cents per pound, I really don't think I'd call that making money. And I do agree that too many uninformed folks buy horses- just as they do dogs, cats, birds, etc. Only through education can any of this be improved.