Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
autoimmune hemolytic anemia

Does anyone know if autoimmune hemolytic anemia is hereditary or not?

Also, if you placed a pup who was diagnosed with this at 9 months of age what, if anything, would you offer the pup's family???

My contract covers HD, ED, and other known hereditary health isses such as those that effect the eyes and heart and that can be screened for prior to breeding through the OFA & CERF, but I don't know much about autoimmune hemolytic anemia, and it is not specially covered in my contract.

The family hasn't asked for anything, just contacted me to let me know. Even though I have done everything possible to assure healthy pups, I still feel bad and wonder if I should do anything.

The breeding this pup came from was a repeat breeding. Altogether, there are 18 siblings between the two breedings, not to mention half siblings from other breedings, and this pup is the only one that has been diagniosed with this, as far as I know of course. FYI, the dam and since retired and has been spayed, as the litter this pup came from was her last.

Re: autoimmune hemolytic anemia

I have had this happen 4 times in pups I bred. In every single case, the AHA was diagnosed first. Later, Lyme was diagnosed. Lyme would the the first thing I would tell puppy buyers to test for.

Found this link for you. Sounds like they are really not sure, but their may be genetic factors that predispose a dog to develope AIHA. I don't think I'd replace based on your contract. If you feel they are worthy of another of your puppies, work something out with them.
Best of luck to you

http://labbies.com/aiha.htm

I lost my boy to this last week after a 5 month battle. You might want to share this link with them: http://www.vetnet.co.uk

There is a discussion forum for AIHA there with a lot of support and information.

This is a horrible illness that is terriby expensive to treat. Please tell this family that my prayers are with them.

Karen Hoffmann

Re: Re: autoimmune hemolytic anemia

I'm sorry for your loss...

I want to thank everyone for their support and advise. Until today, I knew nothing about this disease.

I just feel so bad for them. I try so hard to assure that all my pups are as healthy as possible, and yet I know that things can and still will happen--that's just life. Yet people search and search for the right breeder and try to find a strong healthy pup and pay a significant amount for this, and when this happens, I feel guilty, even though I couldn't have known. I can't just give full refunds to everyone who has bad luck dispite my best efforts to breed the best I can, yet they shouldn't have to pay either. It's just not fair...

I offered them their next pup at half price, and of course as always to take the pup back if needed at any point. That's all I know to do...

Re: Re: Re: autoimmune hemolytic anemia

I certainly don't blame my breeder, nor do I expect anything from her. Responsible breeders do the best they can - that's all they can do. I was in contact with my dog's breeder throughout his illness because I needed to talk to someone that knew him. I'm sure that's why this family contacted you.

Karen

Re: Re: Re: Re: autoimmune hemolytic anemia

You're probably right, but even so I just plain feel bad and wish I could make things better. Even though I haven't been through it, I can only imagin how they must feel...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: autoimmune hemolytic anemia

We lost our beloved Baxter in June to this disease at 8 years of age. It is a terrible disease with a 50% cure rate despite exhausting all possible treatments. Our boy was negative for Lyme disease. Most of the time it is difficult to pinpoint a cause. I do not think that is considered to be a hereditary condition and you could not have prevented it. I think it is great that you are willing to try to help this family.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: autoimmune hemolytic anemia

Yes, it is very nice of you to offer to help. Without going into details, my breeder made an offer to me also. I would have never thought to ask for anything like that.

I could be, then again it might not be. I had one years ago develop this after being on Tri-Meth Sulfa drugs. We were blessed enough to have her pull through it only to lose her five years later to kidney failure brought on by the syndrome.

Thankfully, none of her descendants have had an issue. It's a horrible thing to go through and even though it's been 18 years I still shudder when I think about it.

It can also be a vaccine related thing too....