Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
very sensitive to AI

Has anyone ever had a bitch that was super touchy about even trying to do a smear. Mine is 2.5 years old. This is her first breeding and when the vet tries to check her with a swab she flips out. Even before you touch her there. I was going to do an AI but not sure if I could the way she flops about. Other than that she is the most laid back well trained girl. TIA

Re: very sensitive to AI

Then just do a surgical. Problem solved.

Though I have not had that problem, I do know stress will prevent conception and have experienced it. You may want to think twice about an AI, you're right.

Good Luck

I feel for you on this one. Our one girl takes at least 2 people to get an AI done. Though her first successful breeding was done via surgical implant and only yielded 3 pups, we decided to tackle our girl at home. My husband held her in place by sitting on the toilet lid and held onto her front and I did the AI by stradling over her, facing her tail..kind of awkward but this way I can dig my knees into her side to make sure she didn't do her infamous army crawl. Lola is very pregnant.

Our other girl we bred at the same time we bred her half sister ( the wiggle worm ) just stood there and let me inseminate her both times. Such a good girl Maggie

It definately helps to start doing pretend AI's on your girls who are skitterish about being " Touched " and handled when they are very young.

If you let your girls get by with this behavior early on, it makes doing future AI's a pain in the butt. My husband and I were both sweating up a storm by the time we finished up with Lola's 2 AI's that week but by golly, she didn't get the best of us and now she is very pregnant !!

I am shocked that they would be so sensitive...when my girls are ready they flag for the wind..let alone if you pet them. They are wanting anything and everyone to "touch them". Guess I am lucky~~~or they are!

In my experience, bitches who don't want to be bred are that way for a reason. We struggled to inseminate my now 7 year old bitch for four seasons when she was younger.

She did finally conceive and had 7 puppies, 4 stillborn, one deformed and two viable. Both of these 'puppies' they're over 3 years old now, have been spayed.

Be careful what you ask for.

Re: Re: very sensitive to AI

I have a close friend who had a girl that when bred the first time was NOT letting ANYONE touch her THERE!!! That included the stud dog! A bery persistant (sp?) breeder though got her bred and it was never an issue after that. The litter was beautiful.

Re: Re: Re: very sensitive to AI

Maybe she doesn't want to be touched because she isn't ready yet!

Re: Re: Re: Re: very sensitive to AI

We were going to breed her on her 2 year old heat and started doing smears then. Even on the day she said she was ready and was flagging she still flipped out. So I just thought I would wait until her next heat and hoped she would be better. I will admit she is a big baby about things. I just always thought it was because she is a spoiled girl. She is the one that sleeps at my feet and goes with me everywhere. I will think about the surgical and if we do that then it would be prog test. Although she is a big baby about blood being drawn too. Hummmm Thank you all.