Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
At what age

do puppies start eating gruel. They are 4 weeks old and I have made up thier gruel...ground up puppy food and water...and they seem not to be eating it. Mom has decided she is through with them and only goes in there on occassion. They must be hungry but they still look fat?

Re: At what age

Depending on how many are in the litter.... I start mine at 3 1/2 - 4 weeks.

Don't worry they are labs - they'll start very soon - eating/snacking is practically their whole purpose in life!!!

Valerie - Bibsmom

I know this sounds silly but next time you put down a pan put their front feet in it... this will usually induce curiousity and they will begin to lick at it eating usually follows very quickly ;)

Or dab their nose in it and they will soon be smacking and looking for more!!! Then before you know when they hear the belnder going or the pan rattling, you will see them waiting for you with their yummies!!!

I add a little baby food beef or chicken to the gruel (along with a little rice cereal for the first few days and also some yogurt and applesauce). The baby food meat has the smell to attract them to the gruel. They can start to digest real food at 18 days.

They are ready to switch. One thing I put on my puppy mash is plops of goat yogurt -- that usually does a good job of enticing them plus it really helps with any loose stools they may experience due to the switch.

Johanne

I have also mixed their gruel with Esbilac or powdered goats milk (mixed up of course) for a few weeks. I think it really helps them adjust to the kibble well. Then I slowly mix less powdered mil tot he kibble then slowly reduce the moisture in the kibble until they are eating dry kibble by the time they go home.

I add powdered goats milk - really helps the palatability and the transition from milk to solid food. I buy one can, add a scoop of powder with the water to the food, leave it soaking in the fridge overnight, and feed it to them just like that the next day. Maybe add more water if it's really dry. I don't bother with the food processer or anything like that. I'm big on the KISS rule.

I don't grind mine..just soak until it's super soft. I think grinding dry food without soaking it makes it gritty and unappealing to the pups. After a thorough soaking and mashing I sprinkle the tiniest amount of garlic powder on it to get them interested. I've never not had them go nuts for this. Stools are fine. If ever lose I like baby rice cereal added to the mix.. JMHO

Re: Re: At what age

Lots of good ideas..........the only one I might add is to be sure mom has not been with them for an hour or maybe even two, let them get a bit hungry. It could be that they've all just finished nursing when you're offering them the food. Like someone said, they're Labs, they'll get onto it soon enough.

Re: Re: At what age

Ditto