Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy Runs

What does yellow, curdled milk looking, runny stools usually indicate? Will call vet first thing in the morning. These are 2 1/2 week old pups. They feel good, very active. Just bad diarrhea.

Re: Puppy Runs

Well first thing i have always been told, as long as they seem active and eating you should be safe. There are so many parasites that can cause this and mom's milk. So dont worry too much. Yes call the vet.

Re: Re: Puppy Runs

After the onset of this, I have gone ahead and dewormed them and given probiotics and digestive enzymes. Hopefully that will help matters. Thanks.

Puppy stool is often yellow, curdled milk looking. If it's just loose and not liquid, I wouldn't worry.

I have this often with pups at that age. I have attributed it to an abundance of rich milk. I'd personally be a bit concerned putting something as harsh as a wormer in their little systems and wait until they are eating solid foods, but that's just me.

Make sure they are not too warm. Do you have a heat lamp on them?

I sure don't like to see yellow stools in the whelping box.

I would think that the curdled milk look has a lot to do with undigested milk. I would consider the overabundance of rich milk too much for them to fully digest at this young age) and I would look at whelping box temp...are they warm enough? Digestion is affected by body temp...esp at that age. I would also hesitate to adding all kinds of stuff to their diets with such young digestive systems. If you want to add probiotics...just dip your fingertip in some plain yogurt and let each puppy have a tiny lick.

No heat lamp. Haven't used that for awhile. I think they are cool enough. Temp in room is now 72 regularly.

If it doesn't smell and they are nursing normally and acting healthy, there's no problem. If it has a really sick sweet yucky smell, it's probably coccidia. Easy to treat and not serious unless they are acting sick. Usually they act fine and just have this awful poop that even Mom won't clean up. You can get Albon drops from the vet. Don't let the vet try to do a fecal - false negatives are the norm and then you have to wait and spend money and test again and meanwhile the pups do worse. I always keep powdered Tylan on hand which also works. For pups this age, I put 1/4 tsp Tylan in a gallon of water, then mix a syringe of 1 cc Karo and 2 ccs Tylan water and give to each pup. Mom gets the rest of the Tylan water in her water bowl. They should be fine in 24 hours, then I stop the Tylan. If they get worse or look sick, it's off to the vet.

Question about the dewormers? Nemex II for example says to deworm them starting at 2 weeks. When do most of you start since the consensus on this thread thinks 2 1/2 weeks is too early to start? So I should cut out the probiotics and just give them yogurt? Every single one of them started this last night. I'm thinking it is definately moms milk all of a sudden. Just never seen this before and I'm not new to breeding. When do their system seem to catch up? They all still seem very perky happy this morning. Just still have those same really yucky poops.

I don't think it's Coccidia. Knock on wood, I've never had that here. Doesn't mean there isn't a first time, but it's not common for me. Not pleasant smell, but not horrible.

one word

tylan

Not all dogs tolerate milk products well. I would use a product like benebac instead.

When in doubt, treat it as coccidia. Chances are really good that it will work. And it won't hurt.

Bet it is fat pups, mothers milk is coming in good and they just pigged out. See it alot at that stage.
Right when they eat to much and don't move around enough. What how much you are feeding the mom. Big litter or small ?