Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NSAID Alternative

I have a 5 year old lab which has developed Arthritis after Orthopedic surgery 2 years ago. I want to try to avoid using NSAID meds, if at all possible. Does anyone have any more holistic alternative suggestions?

Re: NSAID Alternative

I know some people swear by Lubrisyn - I know there are some brands better than others - hopefully someone else can chime in with the specifics.

We've managed well with Triple Strength Osteo Bi-Flex and Phyto Flex CCM Plus by Natures Farmacy.

Re: Re: NSAID Alternative

Dasuquin with MSM is great!

Re: Re: Re: NSAID Alternative

White Willow Bark (aspirin in its purest form, really) is an anti-inflammatory as well as a pain reliever. Yucca is also an anti-inflammatory. Nature's Farmacy CCM Plus is great, too!

Adequan works wonders.

I give our elderly Labradors w/arthritis Lube All Plus with great results.

I have always stuck to glucosamene/chondriatin with MSM daily supplement(variety of brands) and for sufferable pain, a medication called Etogesic as needed. That was a precurser to all the later NSAIDs. My old guy did fantastic that way and I have an 8yo who had a partially torn cruciate who has flare ups due to weather or overexercise, works great for her as well. Glycoflex III never worked, here. Adequan is good, but has a lot of side effects, plus I could never do IM injections.......Dausequin(sp)was definately very effective, here, with an occassional Etogesic if pain was bad.

The other sworn by for me is Nupro Joint Support! Natural and highly effective!

Chiropractics and acupuncture are also VERY helpful.

Good luck..........

We use Synovi G3. Think it has been great with my old dogs over the years. Most have kept going into that 14 year.

Try a product called Joint Strong...its made by the same folks that make Show Stopper. Heard lots of people like it.

Re: Re: Re: NSAID Alternative

In my practice we found a product that has glucosamine/chondroitin along with an algae derived, nautral cox-2 inhibitor (works like Deramaxx or Rimadyl with no side effects). It is made by the same folks as synovi G3. It gives both pain relief and joint support with the glucosamine.

Phy-Cox is the name. Reasonably priced compared to Deramaxx and Rimadyl.

Good luck!

Trixsyn works the best over here, it's another brand of hyaluronic acid like Lubrisyn.

How about Zeel or Traumeel by the Heel company? They are currently trying to get FDA approval for dogs. Holistic Vet's use it, and I understand the injection is best, but pills work too. Am currently reading about it as a alternate to NSAID.

I would try Lubrisyn. Wish is was available years ago.

I have used DLPA with success. Makes the body produce endorphins. Google it for info on what drugs it can not be used with (I want to say MAOI but can't remember)

Hi doses of vit. C to bowel tolerance work. C makes the adrenal gland produce natural steroids (anti inflamatory)

It is often a combination of things that work when going natural.

The right amount of protein to maintain muscle to support joints, tendons, ligaments.... is also important. Mild to moderate exercise is beneficial to arthritis.

There is good info on natural supps at www.dogaware.com

PS: I prefer at least 26% protein