Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Foot Care

I have a dog that took a piece of his front large pad off running in the field. It is the size of a #2 pencil eraser. No flap on it. Any suggestion's on what to do to get it to heal. Has been to the vet twice about it and was told that it would heal by it's self, not to worry. But it's been almost three month's.
TIA Kay

Re: Foot Care

Three months is too long. I would ask them to biopsy it.

Re: Re: Foot Care

Strict crate rest. That means only out on a leash to pee, then back to crate.

One of my dogs had a really deep cut/gash in her pad. I washed it daily with antibacterial soap, soaked it in Epson salts, put neosporin on it and then wraped it. She went out to potty and then lots of crate rest. Healed great.

Re: Re: Foot Care

There is a product called Cut Heal that works well on deep cuts. There is also a product that is used to cause granulation and growth of new skin--originally for burn victims. I have a bottle of it that I used on a dog who had to get a growth cut out of her pad. Tt did work quickly.

MK

Re: Re: Re: Foot Care

I would wash it out with hydrogen peroxide (5% dilute)pack it with powdered goldenseal root and some neosporin. You can get the goldenseal at a health store. The goldenseal is yellow, but will look black when on a wet wound. I have seen it heal just about any cut or abcess on an animal or human with great results. That's just what I would do. That is about the only holdover from my back-to-the-earth days that really works like a miracle for me. Really.

Just re-stating something... THREE MONTHS! That's a really long time for a cut pad even with no care at all. A cut pad should be healed in maybe three WEEKS tops. The last dog I heard that had that kind of problem had bone cancer. I would be at the vet's demanding a biopsy to explain why it's not healing.